Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kissAnew

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  6:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally believe single lead and dbl lead each have their merits. I would suppose there is the other end of the prism as well. I have experienced balking single leader getting a boost of confidence in having a running mate and yet that very same leader having confidence in running sngl.
I agree with and relate to the "dance" analogy in regards to single lead but Burner does need a boost sometimes. Especially after Snowy and Patrick(feisty little devils)decide he needs to get attacked from the rear....probably because he(Burner)isn't going fast enough. Actually the only reason I use Snowy and Patrick is because they are so strong and I haul very heavy loads of wood.

Now, regarding the original post asking when the sngl vs dbl leader situation changed...
Taking into consideration the stories I've heard about the "long-ago" teams as opposed to todays mushing style I agree that dbl lead is more predominant today because of rec mushing and/or bigger(more dogs not bigger/heavier) and/faster teams as opposed to working teams. That said I have heard stories of the old (collar)harnesses being used in tandem style team. I have seen an old style collar 2-dog set-up on a basket style sled. The sled was wider and heavier than todays but a basket sled none-the-less. The wooden runners were metal clad. It was(maybe still is) on display(suspended from the ceiling)in 1989 at Trapper's Tavern adjoining The Mystery Lake Motor Hotel in Thompson, Manitoba.
But can you imagine the tangle an old style collared team of 8-12 dogs could create? Three "main-lines"!!!?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page