Traditional Mushing
 Woo Hoo!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Log Dog

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  01:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Log Dog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally, a place where I can tell a mushing story an old man told me without wondering if it fits the topic.

Thanks Admin!

Kyle

Log Dog

Admin

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  09:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Judy Bergemann
Go to Top of Page

Old Geezer

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2014 :  10:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Admin - Great Place for an old man to share stories. I was about four or five. A long time ago anyway. the old man piled us kids into the old Ford Station Wagon. I'm thinking it must have been on one of our many camping trips up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I remember a very tall Man and a very pretty short lady and they had a bunch of dogs. They had a little store and I remember they had an entire dog team stuffed and on display. There were Polar Bear skins hanging on the wall on the cabin store. I recall going from "cage" to "cage" looking at the dogs. I remember flashes of memory. A pen full of puppies. Kinda like a zoo only all dogs. I had to be very young. I remember the Man put something on a spoon and had me taste is. It was weird, different but not too bad. I found out later it was Seal Oil. I remember Muk Luks, Bead Work and seal skin coats hanging on the walls. I didn't have a clue at that point in me life what it was all about- just a fun place. Never dreamed it would impact my life later on, consume me.

Years later I found out it was Chinook Kennel in Wonalancet N.H. The couple were Milt and Eva Seeley. They bought the place of a guy named Leonard Seppalla and he had bout it prior from a guy Named Arthur Walden who started breeding true a bunch of dogs called Chinooks.

In my College years I needed to do a stint- something related to my field of studies. I wound up working for Eva for a short while. Milt was long dead. Eva was an old lady. She still had the old stripped down VW Bug chassis and one day I helped her hook up a bunch of Siberian Huskies, It was probably then that I got addicted to sled dogs- something I dreamed of doing. That would happen till I was Fifty Years old. It did happen and like I said consumed my life for years. I still have eleven sled dogs.

I've never won a race, never had top dogs, rescues mainly- other peoples throw aways generally. Dogs other people gave up on, didn't like for one reason or another. Many of them turned out pretty good. I paid two hundred dollars for a lead dog one. Worst leader I ever had. The best ones were FREE.

In all my years Mushing- so many miles all the dogs I've know. OMG

I've given a lot of kids rides and tours of my misfit kennel over the years. Just a way to make a buck, buy dog food, wood for dog houses, sleds. It all went back to the dogs.

Point is I hope some day some one will remember a visit somewhere in Northern Wisconsin. Remember a guy with a bunch of dogs, a sled, a day out on the trail, Sitting by a camp fire eating sumores. Moments, flashes of youth we all have- pleasant memories of another time and place. Remember it as a positive experience. A seed planted in their brain- a dream they might want to some day fulfill for themselves. IF I accomplished that Just once, Gotta say it's all been worth while. All I ever really wanted anyway. To share a Passion.
Go to Top of Page

balzakjeff

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2014 :  11:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Geezer

Years later I found out it was Chinook Kennel in Wonalancet N.H. The couple were Milt and Eva Seeley. They bought the place of a guy named Leonard Seppalla and he had bout it prior from a guy Named Arthur Walden who started breeding true a bunch of dogs called Chinooks.

Ironically, I just heard on the radio the other day that the Chinook was one of three breeds being added to the Westminster Dog show this year.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2014/show/news/newbreed_102113.html

http://www.akc.org/breeds/chinook/history.cfm

Go to Top of Page

Old Geezer

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2014 :  06:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1968 just finding a sled dog harness was a big chore. I got a Siberian Husky as a graduation gift from college and it took a lot of searching to find a harness source. I finally got a couple out of Center Harbor that worked but my sled was an old kids toboggan disassembled piece by piece and made into a very marginal dogsled torn apart and reconstructed with a handle bow and brush bow with the help of my Dad it worked. NO BRAKE- NO Snow Hook only a snubline but I only had three dos I know some people used horse halters altered and turned backwards. Things were still pretty rustic at that time. New Hampshire still had a Nine Day Dog Derby and a big event in Tamworth New Hampshire. It was a big deal at the time. Now it's pretty much history :-( Chinook Kennel is a museum today BTW.
Go to Top of Page

kissAnew

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  11:32:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old Geezer
Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: