Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Raising Sled Dogs
 Dog Yard
 What type of electric fence charger do you use?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave_B

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2013 :  2:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you that put electric fence on top of chain link fence for climbers or close to the ground for diggers what kind of fence charger do you use? Are you using the same low impedance high energy weed killers that would be used with cows and horses? Or something with a little less bite like the lower energy solid state fence chargers?

Thanks for the help,
Dave

musher81

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2013 :  03:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried a lower energy fencer, but the dogs barely noticed it. I switched to a cattle one and have zero problems with dogs going anywhere near the fence. It is very powerful, but the dogs learn quickly and I can feel confident they are safe in their kennels when I'm gone.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

Dave_B

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2013 :  10:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply Kristin, I ended up going with a regular cattle fence charger for the same reason you listed. I just want to make sure everyone is still there when I get home and a good zap on the nose should do the trick. I know I still remember some run ins with the the fence from my childhood.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Old Geezer

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  05:00:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Old Geezer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A standard Weed Burner Zereba Horse fencer five wire fence. 9 " intervals between wires one quarter acre way enough to stop dogs exiting and MOST varmints entering except for skunks.

Edited by - Old Geezer on 11/19/2013 05:01:56 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page