Health: General
 vaccination boosters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sinnok mutts

19 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  04:16:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been reading through many of the vaccination topics, I see some go way back in years. I need clarification on the 3 year (5 way) vaccines. I know the rabies schedule for Alaska as; 1st shot required at 6 months, one shot first year, 2nd shot the year after - which is then good for 3 years. (please correct if I am wrong).

My question's regard the other shot (5 way) for other diseases.
#1 - puppies, 6 weeks (1st), 9 weeks (2nd), 12 weeks (3rd), then 1 year (4th), AND adults, 1 year or first time, then every year after?
#2 - now with new vaccines adults getting (1st) shot, booster at 3 to 4 weeks (2nd), then good for 3 years?
#3 - does the (2nd) booster have to be given by 3 to 4 weeks after the first, if not within that time - does it have to wait 1 year after (considered 2nd) OR can it be longer than 3 to 4 weeks and still be considered a booster, then it's good for 3 years or only 1 year (if one year, then the following year is good for 3 years)?
#4 - different or same schedule for sled dogs, racing (traveling) sled dogs, and house/pet dogs?

3105 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2012 :  08:35:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
16 weeks is vital, then a year after that. ( 6,9,12,16 and 1 yr).
I have never heard of a pup needing shots at 3-4 weeks? Not sure I follow you with respect to "new vaccines adults"..

Puppies need the series until a year old, when they get another one.
After that, research it can go for 3 to 7 years and some say much longer.
Some recommend giving just Parvo for the 1st (6wks) and possibly the 2nd (9-10wks) because the 5 or 7 way may make them sick because they are so young it may be overwhelming.
I've never seen too many problems with giving a 5 way at 6 wks.

Racing/traveling dogs IMO, every 3 yrs but some race rules state boosters are needed every YEAR. However,many RGO's are changing that rule from what I can see.

I don't think (IMO) for a good high quality vaccine, it is not uncommon for that immunization to last longer than 3 yrs.( in a dog older than 1 yr old).

There is some good stuff here on this if you search the archives or older posts.

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Skandinavian Hounds/Stagsters

Edited by - RSmith on 06/13/2012 08:39:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

869 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2012 :  05:04:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit swanny's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sinnok mutts, if you download the AAHA vaccine recomendations from you'll find current recommendations, and a good, scientifically indepth rationale for the guidelines.

Keep in mind that some RGOs require much more frequent and wide-spread vaccinations than the guidelines, and never seem to be willing to provide a scientific rationale for their requirements. It's a bit of a pet peeve.

A good dog is so much a nobler beast than an indifferent man that one sometimes gladly exchanges the society of one for that of the other. William Francis Butler
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page