Diarrhea in 80lb. Labrador
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a

10 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  9:51:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mushers-

A new Lab has joined our family and he has loose, sometimes completely liquid, stools.

I've had two separate stool samples taken at two different vets, treated for the kind of worm that looks like rice in the stools,administered two rounds of antibiotics at separate times, and he's on heartworm preventive, and have changed him to an easy-to-digest kibble (Nature's Recipe Fish and Potato, contains no grains as far as I know, 20% protein)....

I'm wondering how long I should give his new diet to firm up his stools before I ask the vet to run a basic blood test.

Edited by - n/a on 02/23/2013 1:15:08 PM

balzakjeff

USA
173 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  06:00:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has your vet ruled out intestinal blockages, tennis balls in the stomach, etc.?

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

CrazyDaisy

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  07:48:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last two times I got a new dog I had the same issue, several months of runny to pasty stools, and the dog very thin, but energetic, muscular and otherwise healthy.

Grass eating is pretty normal. All my dogs sometimes do it, especially when they are hungry, and then they spit up bile and the grass, or eject the same rearwards.

With my newest dog I started feeding 3 times a day, about 2 cups kibble at each meal, and am switching the diet to a grain free kibble. That alone didn't help. Then I started soaking the kibble, and I'm seeing the first solid stools in almost three months.

I'm adding just enough hot water to mostly cover the kibble and am letting it sit for only 5 to 10 minutes. The results happened within two days of doing this, and it has been working for several days now, so it might be worth a try before heading to the vet again.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

10 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  6:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks!

I forgot to add that the way this all started was with x-rays for a possibly ingested set of tweezers...The slides showed slight inflammation but nothing foreign.

I'll make adding a little warm water to the kibble a habit, cut out the chicken broth altogether and trust in the pros who formulate the dog food for a while. The vet also said too much rich food (high-end kibble, homemade) can be too much of a good thing because dogs are accustomed to eating (whatever) in the wild.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

n/a

10 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2012 :  5:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay! I tried adding about 3/4-1 cup of warm water to Gabe's food starting a couple of days ago, and I just picked up (our) first solid stool in a month or more--phhhew!

I also gave him a children's dose of live cultures for dinner yesterday and the day before to help repopulate his GI tract with bacteria helpful for digestion.

Keep us in your thoughts, though; he may have swallowed an entire walnut with the shell on yesterday. He's not showing a single sign of discomfort and it's been almost 24 hours. (:

Thanks!!
Go to Top of Page

IN

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2012 :  11:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit IN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Things which should also help:
Add white yogurt to his food (probiotic).
Add psyllium husk to his food (fiber, will firm up the stool).
Worm for round worms (use Pyrantel Pamoate), not just tape worms (that’s what the rice-like worms were).
Good luck!

IN
Go to Top of Page

n/a

10 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2012 :  9:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dear IN,

What does Pyrantel Pamoate look like? Where does one find it?

My dog is still a little "ribby;" how long should it take for him to gain his weight back? We're highly active-- I try to give him about 3 hrs of exercise/day, so is 6 cups of "senstive stomach" kibble plus treats enough? I'm thinking of adding one more cup and feeding seven. I'll feed 3 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon and 2 for dinner...the vet says to give weight gain some time, but I am concerned there's something else lurking. Dog's stools are back to normal almost every time as of today (4/20).

would like to hear what you have to say.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

IN

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2012 :  10:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit IN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since your dog was never de-wormed for round worms, he might be infested with them. It would explain both the diarrhea and your dog being “ribby”. Here is link to Pyranel (not sure if Judy will allow it). http://howlingdogalaska.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=32&products_id=138

In my opinion you are OVERFEEDING dry food. Trying to put this much dry food through your dog’s digestive system can result in loose stools. Plus feeding three times a day is not necessary. Twice a day should be fine. You need to add fat to the kibble – buy ground beef for starters. Give your dog less dry food and add the meat. It should help to "fatten him up".

IN

Edited by - IN on 04/21/2012 10:31:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

husky.bell

South Africa
16 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  08:34:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all! I am glad to hear I'm not alone in the "loose stool" problem. My young Sibe has this and I will start the water with kibble solution. I feed 2x a day and will also add the fat. What is the secret behind the water added to the kibbles?
Go to Top of Page

D.Heilbrunn

Canada
320 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  12:12:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Husky.bell - adding fat will make the issue worse. I think that 95% of loose stool issues come from improper feeding, the other 5% from sickness, extreme physical stress, or a combo of the two. Improper feeding usually means feeding too much in general, too much of one ingrediant in particular (usually too much kibble or fat), or feeding imporperly before running. If the dog food bag says feed 6 cups a day for a dog his weight, but he's having loose stools, then forget what the bag says and just feed less.

Do what IN said, cut back the kibble by half a cup or a cup and add a little (half a cup) of raw beef. Or, just cut back the kibble and see what happens. I add about a teaspoon of canola oil all year round and a teaspoon of psyllium per meal / dog.

The trick to adding water is to NOT let the kibble soak up / break down in a meat broth. Good digestion relys on good bacteria in the stomache, and soaking kibble in meat broth introduces a lot of harmful bacteria into the dog's system. Mix the meat with the water, add kibble and serve right away. You could add 2-4 cups of water and should be fine.
Go to Top of Page

husky.bell

South Africa
16 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  01:18:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
D. Heilbrunn- thank you for the valuable info. I will start it immediately and follow your guidance. Thank you again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page