Matthew Cacka / Former handler for Dave Schindler
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Clint Martin

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  12:38:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was checking a few sled dog race lists from a few years back to see if anyone was on Facebook. I found a Facebook page & today Shane, my son found this on you tube. This young man handled for David Schindler & Suzanne Bailey for a couple of years & traveled with them & raced some 4-dog events & skijoring. I remember Matthew well; he was an awesome young man & I was saddened to learn that he had passed away, but the movie of his life is extremely positive & encouraging; even a few shots of his racing days.
Matthew Cacka Funeral Widescreen
www.youtube.com

Clint Martin

Mike Callahan

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  1:10:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Callahan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear about Matthew. I remember Matthew winning the 1999 skijor race at Canmore Alberta. There was a lot of really good competition there. He was only 16 then I think. Another 16 year old named Sandy Burke took second . Both great kids. Definitely a case of youth NOT being wasted on the young. Here is a photo I took of Matthew just after that race.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g95/mycijor/skijoring/Matthew-Cacka.jpg

I'm still alive if any of you were wondering. So..... Plenty of good news about me in spite of the fact that I have yet to emerge out the other side of the cancer gulag. By that time it appears that my dogs will be too old. There is hope that I eventually might die of something else besides Leukemia.

http://skijorbikejorcanicross.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Clint Martin

Canada
181 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  02:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome picture, Mike. Thanks for sharing!

Clint Martin
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2012 :  1:30:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mike

You can come out of cancer, I did, into my 6th year in June, and working hard and keeping it away and enjoying life, you can do it. others have. Attitude is a big item in the things to do for recovery, I had a very aggressive cancer in the throat so I had a more aggressive mix of radiation and chemo, it worked, when it was completed I was as strong as a mostly drowned kitten, but that got left behind too, without the attitude I wouldnt have made it. This year will be the first time on runners again in way too long, but it will be.

Not to hijack the thread, I remember Mathew, a fine young man as I remember reading, I never met him, and am sorry he has gone over the bridge, I wonder when I look behind and see how many are no longer with us, I need to appreciate more those who are still with us.

Jake

Mikado, MI

Edited by - jake on 01/28/2012 1:33:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mike Callahan

USA
345 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  02:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Callahan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jake
I've been that drowned kitten too several times but a lot of luck and good science brought me back. Attitude and positivity are over rated. It implicates those that do not survive didn't have "Attitude". A strong will to live is universal.
As a result of a hemipoetic stem cell transplant I have a new bonus affliction called Chronic Graft Versus Host disease. After blood cancer you don't just hop on your bike again like Lance Armstrong. You are not "Cured" like some other cancers. GVHD is a tradeoff better than death. My litany of ailments are too long to go into but suffice to say, I doubt I will be running dogs for the foreseeable future.

http://skijorbikejorcanicross.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MegC

USA
1321 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  09:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Mike- sister had her stem cell tx for leukemia in 2007, and while she's got a host of complications she's been running some half marathons. She's kind of blazing new territory, but the UW docs have seen evidence that her commitment to exercise has made an amazing difference.

Don't ever discount pure grit. It would be MUCH easier for her not to run on any given day, but she's focused on the big picture, and she's reaping the benefits.

My dogs are getting older too. Hopefully the economy will turn around before I'm too old to get another batch.
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  09:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi Mike

Keep on keeping on, sounds corny but its the truth, we gotta do it, my cancer was attributed to agent orange heavy exposure and it is still in me, so every day I wake is a gift. I cant waste any of it, and doing what I can to keep the cancer at bay.

Dont count yourself out, you may well be behind a team yet. Where there is breath there is life.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page