New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Elizrankin

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  1:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elizrankin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you could live any where in the lower 48 where would be the best place to be a Musher and Why?

I live in Vermont right now, no plans to move but I am curious about other places people live. I love Vermont because of its old ways, local scenes, hard winters and mild summers. There are no races but NH is close by and they have a few. Its expensive here so most people who run have small teams. The snow-mobilers are cocky but the tourist love seeing teams on the trail. The state parks are beautiful and there are lots of places to explore.

Elizabeth Rankin
Ta Dog Kennel
"It may take a little courage but everything worthwhile usually does."

Theo

USA
1025 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  2:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lived in Northern Minnesota, near Bemidji when I had a sled dog team. Its pretty good because there is lots of snow and not many people, even with sno mobilers there are a good amount of trails. I lived near where Gary Paulsen lived, who wrote "winter Dance" and even had one of his culled dogs.

The draw back is ticks, and its kind of flat and logged over. Plus is doesn't always snow a lot which happens all over now even in Alaska. Dog mushing isn't really that popular there either, like it is in Alaska. Lots of rural people think its kind of odd. Its much more common to ice fish and ride snow mobiles there than mush. But the population density is pretty low, so you can kind of do what you want and not worry too much about neighbors. Land is cheap up there, like $1000 an acre or less in some cases, some of it would be swamp though at that price. Plus not much work around there.

I think if I ever did it again I would do it in Alaska. I think skijoring is all I plan to do in the lower 48.

http://sleddogblog.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dillon_Husky

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  3:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon_Husky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems like out West is the place to be (in the lower 48 at least)! Specifically Seeley Lake and West Yellowstone, MT. Also, along the Wyoming/Colorado border in the Steamboat Springs/Craig area looks promising.

Keep in mind, this info is just what I've gathered from other mushers and friends in those areas- but it seems to me that if you're looking at more sprint/stage type mushing, West Yellowstone would be ideal, because of the large amount of regularly groomed snowmobile trails.

Many Iditarod teams have come out of the Lincoln and Seeley Lake areas (for the lower 48), most notably Doug Swingley.

And in the Steamboat area, there are three main trail systems that you could do 100+ miles on each. I'm not sure if they connect, but I would assume that they connect at some point.

As far as land prices go, all three of these areas have faced inflated housing prices due to people buying them as their second or third homes. It seems that in the Steamboat area, you can get a decent house with 20-80 acres for the same price of a house in West Yellowstone or Seeley Lake with only 2-10 acres.

Dillon
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  4:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not all that up on the 'west' but I do know about some of the Upper Peninsula in MI and love it and have had fun up there, from Newberry west there are trails galore. Maybe Pete Curtice and and some of those who know a lot more can chime in.Were I to go back to MI that would be an area I would sure look around.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Go to Top of Page

ChuckCubbison

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2012 :  6:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChuckCubbison's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A word of advice to anyone who wants to move to Colorado with sled dogs (especially if you tether your dogs): if you plan to have more than 15 dogs or breed more than two litters per year, check the state kennel regulations (PACFA) very, very carefully and make sure you are comfortable with what's in there. Also check into local zoning regulations very carefully. Colorado is not as "musher friendly" as it used to be.
Go to Top of Page

team ollie

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  01:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit team ollie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After moving to alaska, I can honestly advise you to move to Alaska. There's nothing out there like it.

Team Ollie
http://www.teamollie.com
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2012 :  08:25:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am doing it as soon as breakup happens, no later then mid April I will be on my way.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Go to Top of Page

dick

201 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  2:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have said the UP of Michigan but it got hit with rain and freezing rain over the weekend. Especially the Eastern half. Only somewhat safe place is Alaska, Northern Canada or northern Quebec. Global warming is moving north every year.
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  3:17:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The UP has almost got to have some snow somewhere. We have about 8-12" here in NE Wa, packed, really nice. Normally its much more, last year there was about 6' right here at this time. In Paxson there is over 9-10', that is where the Copper Basin race was stopped because the snow machines couldnt make trail. I would be moving up in April but am told the snow wont be cleared out enough then. So I am going up in may, will pitch a tent if I have to.

I am not sure if this is global warming due to the 'greenhouse gases' or global warming in a regular temperature cycle, remember Erik the Red got Iceland settled when it was warm in Europe and Greenland was green. We got a long ways to go to get that much warmer. Anyhow, I am enjoying a pleasant sunny day today. Life is good.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Go to Top of Page

Holmberg

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  3:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holmberg's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One might consider the availability of good dog food, a source for quality raw meats, and a good sled dog vet when considering a location. To me the western portion of the UP in the snow belt seems pretty darn good. Close to Wisconsin...the "dairy state" and all its cows. Some of the better sled dog food companies are based within a couple of hours drive. Ticks though so... I don't know much about the west so can't say which is better all around. Oh yeah, lake superior produces cold water fish too.
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  4:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You also have Caribou Gold there, close to all. I could have been very happy in the UP, good folks there .

Jake

Mikado, MI
Go to Top of Page

CAM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2012 :  6:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit CAM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I can't say that West Yellowstone is the best place to live since there are so many factors to consider. But, I have been running on sleds since mid November and had plenty of snow for the Rodeo Run in mid December. It has snowed almost every day for the last week.

It can be expensive to live here, but the training is excellent and well worth it. Just this week I've counted 12 Stage Stop teams that came to train at elevation before the race.

Go to Top of Page

Elizrankin

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  1:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Elizrankin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Seems to be a lock of snow problem all over. We have been on sleds for a few weeks, but it rained over an inch on the east coast last night making the trails hard as rock in places. I am going to visit Wyoming at the end of February. Hubby might get a call to pack our stuff up and meet me out there.

Elizabeth Rankin
Ta Dog Kennel
"It may take a little courage but everything worthwhile usually does."
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  1:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess its time to check out the 50th state, no shortages there.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Go to Top of Page

ChuckCubbison

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  5:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit ChuckCubbison's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can have a bad snow year anywhere, even Alaska. I think there are a lot of other factors that are more important than snow: to me, the more important issues are the strength of the local mushing community; the local laws and regulations that impact mushers; the type, quality, and variety of trails available for training; the availability of goods and services (food, veterinarians, etc) that you need to maintain your kennel; and if you're into racing, the type and frequency of races.
Go to Top of Page

jake

USA
1513 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2012 :  5:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using Chucks criteria I think that the two best places in the US for mushing are Alaska and the UP of MI.

Yes, bad snow years can hit both places, but, not as bad as the rest of the country I dont believe.

Jake

Mikado, MI
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page