Junior Racing
 How Did It Start?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MusherChic

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  12:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit MusherChic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forgive me if this has been asked on here before but I'm curious to know how you guys got into dog mushing. What made you decide "I'm gonna be a musher someday..."? :)

Small 'N' Mighty Racing Sled Dogs
Find out what this teen and her dogs are up to @
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com

dgsoles

USA
375 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  4:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dogs....one led to another, which led to the need to exercise them before they tore my house apart. Which led to this sport. Which led to another dog. Which led to a torn-apart house :)

Hope to see you at a few races, more than likely Kalkaska again? Who knows, I might actually be able to keep up this time! I'll be doing Kalkaska, Indian River, and Mackinaw (if it actually happens....). Oh, and some MUSH races, but I doubt you go to those.

Doug Soles

"What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right."

Northern Dream Dog Sledding
Go to Top of Page

Susie Rogan

Canada
1001 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  5:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was a lone skijor person for 8 years before I tried dog sledding.

Then I met a musher and we got together. I continued skijoring for that winter and let him and the dog handlers do their thing. The next year I pretty much stayed out of it as well, but ran the Percy in the spring with 6 of his dogs and one of my own. This was after being on a sled only 7 times. The dog limit in that race was 9, but 7 was plenty for me. I came in third and got badly beat up by the jumble ice, but still managed to have a pretty good time. Really, my skills were pathetic, I was wiping out on straight aways because I could not deal with side hilling on a sled, I tied my quick release to my stanchion and it pulled the sled sideways, wiping me out a lot, the lead dog would not move when they dropped the flag for the mass start, etc. etc. At one point in that first race, Kyla Boiven was on my sled bag and I was on her runners, going down the Yukon River side by side (crash/tangle was my fault. Of course.)

Despite all my screw ups, people were nice, the weather was beautiful, and it was very cool to be at the famous '40 Mile' with real mushers and bush folks, sitting by a huge bonfire listening to an old time musher drinking a beer and sadly telling us he had to behave because he was 'on probation'. He had been barred for life from the race a few years previous for an altercation with a race judge.

I just thought it was all great, and the next year I participated in the training runs and trained up my own darn team, and ran the Quest 300.

Skijoring is still my favourite sport in the world though!

Edited by - Susie Rogan on 09/07/2011 5:12:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dougskijors

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  5:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dougskijors's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a dog phobia from the time I was 3 years old, and my young son was catching it from me.
So we went to the pound and adopted a feisty little husky/border collie mutt.
Most of my XC ski buddies were faster than me, so we started skijoring to try and keep up.

Then the pound had a pitbull mutt who was pining away...
Then we needed something to exercise outside snow season, so we got a scooter.
Then I wanted a bigger heavier dog...

Then my skiing advanced past pound puppy level, so I got two real dogs from Roy Smith...along with extra death & dismemberment insurance.
Go to Top of Page

MusherChic

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2011 :  9:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit MusherChic's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hope to see you at a few races, more than likely Kalkaska again? Who knows, I might actually be able to keep up this time! I'll be doing Kalkaska, Indian River, and Mackinaw (if it actually happens....). Oh, and some MUSH races, but I doubt you go to those.

I should be at all 3 of those races! I really hope Mackinaw is run cause thats the race that dragged me into this sport. I've been going to that race since I was little and finally the racing bug bit me and the rest is history. lol
I might try a MUSH race this year depending on when they are. GLSDA is my priority but I usually have the MUSH races as my Plan B in case a GLSDA race is cancelled.

Small 'N' Mighty Racing Sled Dogs
Find out what this teen and her dogs are up to @
http://www.smallmightyracing.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

Cac

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  4:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Starting out was a little hard for me. It was when I was in either 4th or 5th grade. My family went to go watch my Uncle and cousins race and I was hooked. I went home and told my parents... I want to try that. In 6th grade I ran a 2 dog team. Then I took a break for a year and was back on the runners again in 8th grade. Now, Im in 10th grade and I am trying to start my own kennel. I borrow 2 dogs from my uncle to run in the WI Jr. 3 dog race and have my own house sled dog, Chipmunk.

Now, Im addicted. I want to be a musher when I grow up, and forgive my for this, but I want to move a way to Alaska or in the upper WI a way from family just to presude my dreams. Sorry family!

Carlleen
Carlleenssleddogs.weebly.com
A musher pursuing her dreams of owning her own with sled dog kennel and running the Iditarod!
Go to Top of Page

TeamChester

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2011 :  2:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I watched "Balto" at my aunts when I was 4/5 and thought it was the greatest thing. Then when I was 12ish I got all the gear minus dog team and summer rig for Christmas (best Christmas EVER). lol Spent the next few years dreaming and researching. Last fall I got a 4 dog team.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page