Under tongue swelling, abcess
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  5:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today a third dog at our kennel presented with swelling under the tongue. The first symptom of this is drooling which causes us to notice the swelling. The first dog had abcesses under the tongue and a temperature. The second dog's tongue was lolling out of its mouth before we noticed and it was the drool that caused us to notice. He had an abcess that burst. He had a temp of 104. The dog today had drooling, a temp of 103.9 and swelling under tongue but no abcess. None of these dogs lives with the other. They are not fighting and they are different ages. We have reviewed all of our procedures, foods, housing, etc and cannot come up with a common possible cause. We're beginning to think it might be infectious, but the veterinarians are puzzled. Today's ill dog is being treated with injectable Rimadyl and Simplicef (200 mg). Each dog has spent time in the house once diagnosed/treated and the first two are back to normal. Anyone have any ideas what this might be/how to prevent?
We've thought of punctures, etc.... no commonality, dogs not related.

mbeers

USA
613 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  6:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spider or insect bites perhaps? Our dogs sometimes have tried to eat bees only to find out it wasn't a great idea.

Tends to be swelling but no abscess but I know some spider bites will cause infection.

Melissa
Sibertopia Sled Pets

Edited by - mbeers on 01/04/2011 6:45:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

smushybanana

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  7:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit smushybanana's Homepage  Reply with Quote
foxtails? In your straw maybe? I had a dog once with an abscess in his neck/throat from foxtails.

Hilary Schwafel
Go to Top of Page

gonetodogs

Canada
208 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  8:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll second the grass awn idea.
Go to Top of Page

Susie Rogan

Canada
1001 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  11:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once we had one that was caused by a porcupine quill. I am sure that is not your problem given the time of year. The second one we never found out what it was, it burst before we got her to the vet. These things are really painful for the dogs from what I could tell. Too bad it's happening, I hope you figure it out! Very strange.
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  05:08:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, we're wondering if it's straw, too. If so, it's just
random and hard to prevent? Odd that three would have it, straw comes from two providers and we always shake it out, but of course
it's mixed.
Go to Top of Page

qw

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2011 :  09:46:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had the exact same thing happen to a dog of mine, I am almost posiitive that it was an allergic reaction to bordetella vaccine. I gave him benadryl and it cleared up in a few days. He was in rough shape along with the underneath of tongue his whole face and especially neck was swollen bad.
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  4:15:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting... the straw DOES have foxtails in it... one dog's fur looked funny this a.m in a spot... I was checking to see if a bite from another dog, but a foxtail was stuck in it. Vet just called back and said to check stool samples for ghiardia too, so we will, but no vomiting or diarrhea in these dogs. We bought new straw, different vendor today, and no visible foxtails in it. We'll dispose of other straw.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page