New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hnewman

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  4:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit hnewman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob (fundog): I was looking at the Giro helmets online--reading about the different brands available actually.
I am looking to buy at least 4 helmets to have for guests to wear when I take them out on the sled. I would also have one for myself too. I do not skijor but I do bike and scooter with dogs and I wear a bike helmet then.

Thanks
Helen

Prairie Isle
Go to Top of Page

bluesharpplayer

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  6:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit bluesharpplayer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have two "skateboarder" type helmets. One that fits without a hat underneath (summer and warm days), and one that fits with a hat underneath. Played with the removable/different sized foam inserts to make it fit well.

If your not having fun, you need to consider what you're doing wrong.
Go to Top of Page

funhog

344 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2011 :  4:12:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit funhog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh boy Helen I don't know what to say about clients. I think all the helmets I have have foam pieces that can be used to adjust fits. Those and the stocking caps would help engineer a better fit.

I just read Gracies reply. Just make sure the bubble suit is inflammable. You don't want a flame up when they drag you and start some kind of combustion.

It's all about fun!
Go to Top of Page

Pacedog123

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  8:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wear a helmut on especially challenging trails, but not on fairly flat ones or ones i am super familiar with...i feel much safer with a helmut, though...and knee braces!
Go to Top of Page

hnewman

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  07:46:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hnewman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will carry a fire extinguisher with me fundog:) I have been checking locally to get an idea how the sizes run and also with a hat on. I figure I will have a variety of sizes.

Helen

Prairie Isle
Go to Top of Page

Mike Callahan

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  10:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Callahan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I prefer a helmet designed for cycling instead of ski or snowboard helmets. For skijoring i prefer a helmet that is well ventilated. Lightweight is nice too. If my heart rate is between 130 and 160 which it often is when I go hard then I worry more about my head overheating. Ever wonder why those XC skiers can go with such a thin skullcap when they ski in below zero conditions? Gravity skiers don't get their heart rate up for sustained periods of time. You almost need a warm helmet more for sitting on the lift. If I just want to work the dogs and not ski too hard myself then an unvented helmet would not be too hot.
Honestly. I only use a helmet when skijoring at night to have a place to mount my light. I always use a helmet when I scooter or bikejor. A thin liner is all I need most of the time if it's cold.

http://skijorbikejorcanicross.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

D0gsledboy01

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  5:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always wear a helmet biking with or without dogs but on softer snow why wear a helmet skijoring.

If only we were dogs
Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  5:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trees, rocks and other hard objects.

Judy Bergemann
Go to Top of Page

D0gsledboy01

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2015 :  9:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks

If only we were dogs
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page