Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RICHARD DIAZ

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  08:25:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im buying some backcountry gear because my touring settup isnt cutting it in the backcountry I was wanting to get some input about how many people wear helmets pros and cons.

SMALL KENNEL, BIG HEART

mcladonn

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  10:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am going to get one this year. I wear one for bikejoring and horseback riding so it makes sense to me to wear one for skijoring too. And since they have started making them for downhill skiing and snowboarding I think there are probably lots of choices to find something warm and comfortable.

Donna
Lethbridge, AB
Go to Top of Page

Dougskijors

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  2:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dougskijors's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi;
I wear a cheap hardshell mountain biking helmet from Pryme, that I bought through MEC.
I wear a buff or snug skullcap under it on cold days, and pull up my goretex jacket hood over the top if windchill is too much.
My googles fit under it nicely.
I have however been thinking about one of the full-face mountain bike helmets with chin guard, since I get a few rocks and icechunks in my face.
Go to Top of Page

EllieRose

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  8:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit EllieRose's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got a snowboarding helmet. It's been really great and I don't dare run with out it. Some of my favorte features are that it is warm, so no extra cap needed, fits well and is comfortable. You can work goggles in with ease and really have a nice set up.

www.freewebs.com/briarlea
Go to Top of Page

flyinalong

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2010 :  10:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wear a snowboarding helmet. Goggles snap on the back. Last year I wiped out in a race and my head went through a row of pine trees. My helmet was green on the top and sides. Saved my head! Would never get on a sled without one.
Go to Top of Page

SKIJOR#1

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  05:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit SKIJOR#1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I also wear a sno-boarding helmet. It is light, warm and safe. After suffering a concussion at a race I woulds not be with out one. It is much better than slowing down....:)

Johnn Molburg, www.arcticstarsleds.com
Go to Top of Page

Snow Country Kennels

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  05:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 for the helmet. Ive also been thinking about adding a full bubble rap suit.
Go to Top of Page

CrazyDaisy

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  12:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I make my money using my head, so I won't take any chances with it.I wear a snowboarding helmet for skijoring, sledding or scootering. I put either a scull cap or thin balaclava under it depending on the temperature, and it goes with goggles, a headlamp, or both.

I wish I had worn a full face helmet this fall, when I had a nasty face plant on a dirt road when scootering. It required a few stitches under my nose, but I was very lucky that I didn't knock any teeth out.

Go to Top of Page

Ronin

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2011 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ronin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No one ever regrets wearing a helmet, they do however, regret not wearing one.

http://www.roninkennels.com
Go to Top of Page

skijoringamanda

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2011 :  5:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snow Country Kennels

Haha, this made me giggle! I've never thought about wearing a helmet, but I think it's a great idea. Last spring we had a thaw/freeze and my dog obtained some sort of turbo boost on the trails; there was no control on the ice and I wiped out hard, twice! I've had a concussion from hitting ice while downhill skiing so maybe it's time for a helmet while skijoring!
Go to Top of Page

Gracie

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  01:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gracie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skijoringamanda

quote:

Haha, this made me giggle! I've never thought about wearing a helmet, but I think it's a great idea. Last spring we had a thaw/freeze and my dog obtained some sort of turbo boost on the trails; there was no control on the ice and I wiped out hard, twice! I've had a concussion from hitting ice while downhill skiing so maybe it's time for a helmet while skijoring!

I can related to the bubble suit! A helmet is a great start though.
Go to Top of Page

tikkoskidog

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2011 :  03:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit tikkoskidog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who, me, fall while skijoring? That'll be the day...

Sometimes I notice these random bruises, can't figure out where they came from until I remember, oh yeah, that's from the time there was that overflow I didn't notice until.. splat.
Go to Top of Page

hnewman

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2011 :  2:37:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit hnewman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The ones that have bought a snowboarding helmet. Is there a brand you recommend or are they all about the same in quality?

Thanks
Helen

Prairie Isle
Go to Top of Page

SKIJOR#1

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  05:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit SKIJOR#1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just be sure not to go "Cheap" I like the snow boarding helmets as they are warm and light. When choosing..Remember what it is protecting.

Johnn Molburg, www.arcticstarsleds.com
Go to Top of Page

Eric Rogers

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  12:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eric Rogers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jim Lanier wears hockey protection for the Dalzell Gorge

Eric

Eric

www.rnorthbounddogs.com
http://rnorthbounddogs.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

funhog

344 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2011 :  3:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit funhog's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Helen I tend to purchase Giro helmets. I have one for my bike and one for skiing. They have fit my head and allow goggles better than anything else I tried. I never felt like I could just buy one without trying them on. Maybe because my head is ellipsoid shaped rather than shaped like a basketball.

It's all about fun!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page