Junior Racing
 2011 Jr. Yukon Quest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anduril Musher

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  7:01:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anduril Musher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Who is planning on running the Jr. Quest this year? I have entered, and was wondering how many others out there were going to enter.

~Anduril Kennels~
http://jennygreger.com

Dog Mushers Dad

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  9:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dog Mushers Dad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jenny, Lacey will be racing you from Wasilla to Skwentna and back, but I don't think we will do the Jr Quest.

"It is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

Realtor to the best sled dogs and sometimes their owners.

Dog Mushers Dad!

carl@gee-haw.com
Go to Top of Page

Susie Rogan

Canada
1001 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2010 :  9:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just looked up the details of the Jr. Quest. It is run from Fairbanks, 130 miles with a lot of dog drops and a couple of check points, including an 8 hour mandatory layover. Ages 14 to 17 only. It looks like there is a lot of support (vet check, supplies brought out to the half-way point, a finish banquet), and the cost is only $50!

It starts on March 5. Just thought I'd give people something to play over in their minds... it really does sound like an opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

Dog Mushers Dad

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  07:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dog Mushers Dad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Susie,

It's not the entry fee for us. It's the $200 a day it cost for us to be in AK for a week to enter it. We just do not have the extra $1,400. Also they canceled the JR kind of at the last minute, last year due to conditions. I understand why they needed to do this. But I wouldn't want to wait around a week only to have it cancel again.

Also, the date for the JR Quest is the same date for another little race the Iditarod. A lot of the Iditarod families will be in Anchorage and not at the Jr Quest. ( this reads that the Iditarod Families are the real competition in AK and by having the Jr Quest on the same day they have effectively eliminated the most/best competition for the JR racers.) It might be more fun for our JR to dog handle for an Iditarod musher at the start then run the Jr Quest.

We will monitor our budget and how the race builds in entries and then decide. You can enter this race almost at the last minute.

"It is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

Realtor to the best sled dogs and sometimes their owners.

Dog Mushers Dad!

carl@gee-haw.com
Go to Top of Page

Born2mush

Canada
323 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  4:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Born2mush's Homepage  Reply with Quote
what I wonder is why the Jr Quest doesn't Leave from Whitehorse and change directions like the 300 and 1000 races...
Go to Top of Page

dog musher

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2011 :  8:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit dog musher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2011 Jr. Quest has been CANCELED. Admin posted a link to it under the "Racing" forum, but I thought an update here might be appropriate.

Lacey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page