2011 Jr. Race To The Sky
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anduril Mom

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  9:18:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought I would start a new Topic for this years race...who is thinking about comming? Who should I ask for donations for prizes as well as MONEY$$$$ The Vet Team is VERY excited about the Jr.s
How is training comming along?

livengood

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  10:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit livengood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm planning to come, I've been talking with one of the juniors who ran it last year and getting some coaching. We've had two weeks of steady rain, so everything's pretty muddy, not good for training, but we've been out scouting trails and have some good places picked for when the snow hits, both for just running and for snow camp-outs.......the best trail is at a higher elevation, so we should be running on snow in the next week or two.....in the meantime, I've been making some repairs on my race sled....just put in an adanac order today for brake claws and ganglines (my old ones didn't have cable)!

Garrett
Livengood Kennels
King/Berkowitz lines Alaskan Huskies
Council, Idaho
Go to Top of Page

Dog Mushers Dad

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2010 :  09:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dog Mushers Dad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cara,

It seemed to me that last years race was awesome for the JR's. The prizes were great. So I guess the place to start is who donated last year?

Sorry to make the comparison but, a couple of the big prizes at the Jr Irod is the cash scholarships. Maybe we could find out the details and do something like it here in MT. As Lacey has one of these. I will call and get the details on it and see if we could do something like it. I know up there, the first place prize is $5,000. In addition to having the honor of leading out as the first musher at the start of the Iditarod. Lacey got $1,000 for the humanitarian award in addition to a nice faux bronze of a musher with a dog. It is all scholarship monies and so cannot be spent on anything but college. So that does have it's downside for some kids who may not have the opportunity to go to college.

IMHO the Jr Race to the Sky is the premier "Jr" event in the lower 48 and should be viewed as such. I guess it is up to us to make it so. Who else can we get to contribute time and resources in developing the prizes and the races stature?

"It is better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

Realtor to the best sled dogs and sometimes their owners.

Dog Mushers Dad!

carl@gee-haw.com
Go to Top of Page

Dog Mushers Dad

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  07:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dog Mushers Dad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Can we get a head count on the Jr Race to the sky!

Who are the Jr Mushers who are entering?

Right now I am aware of two for sure.

Jenny Greger
Lacey Hart

Who else is entering?

Dog Mushers Dad!

carl@gee-haw.com
Go to Top of Page

livengood

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  11:03:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit livengood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not entered yet but I'm about 90% sure I will. It also sounds like Taylor Berge will enter so that would make four jrs:

Jenny Greger
Lacey Hart
Garrett Warren
Taylor Berge

Garrett
Livengood Kennels
Council, Idaho
Go to Top of Page

Cac

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  2:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would love to do it, but I don't even have a team to run. My mom was saying I could be able to get out there if I had a team there, but I don't have a team

Carlleen
Carlleenssleddogs.weebly.com
A musher pursuing her dreams of owning her own with sled dog kennel and running the Iditarod!
Go to Top of Page

Dog Mushers Dad

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  09:03:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dog Mushers Dad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cac,

I am sure that with the resources that are available in the area we could piece together a team, However you would need to be here for at least a month prior to train and learn and to be evaluated before we would let you run through the mountains with little experience. Running eight dogs is a lot harder then running 2-3. Even then there is no guarantee that you can run the race.

Maybe the best thing for now would be to come out and handle with Jenny and Lacey and train along with them some. You can stay with us and learn how the girls do what they do.

Dog Mushers Dad!

carl@gee-haw.com
Go to Top of Page

Anduril Musher

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2010 :  1:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Anduril Musher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a great idea, Dog Mushers Dad.
Cac, even if you can't run the Jr.RTTS, it would be a great learning experience to come down and train with Lacey and I a bit. It'd be a lot of fun too.

~Anduril Kennels~
http://jennygreger.com
Go to Top of Page

Cac

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  2:35:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cac's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks,
I would love to come out. I am sure I could possible try to. I mean, I can only miss 10 days of school since I am in public school and they are soooo, strict on missing school. Maybe dog musher dad and jenny you can both send me a message and let me know more?

Carlleen
Carlleenssleddogs.weebly.com
A musher pursuing her dreams of owning her own with sled dog kennel and running the Iditarod!
Go to Top of Page

livengood

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2010 :  3:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit livengood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Cac,

It's off topic but if you're serious about this sled dog lifestyle then you might want to look into an online public school. I have attended one all through highschool and it's worked very well, and I know of at least one other jr. musher (Emily Wade) who also was schooled virtually. Certainly would allow you a more flexible schedule to train and attend races.

Garrett
Livengood Kennels
Council, Idaho

Edited by - livengood on 12/13/2010 3:43:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dog Mushers Dad

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2010 :  09:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dog Mushers Dad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Carleen, I sent you a private email but here is the jist of it.

I do not think you can get ready for a race like the Jr Race to the Sky in only 10 days. Most adults could not. Especially with a team you do not know.

Even if you could. you would need to bring all the mandatory gear, etc, as we do not have spares for all that.

The Jr Race to the Sky. is in the mountains in Montana. It runs along for about 100 miles in the Rockies. During the entire race there is no access to any road system except at the midway point. So you are on your own almost the entire time, with no chance of getting help. No cell phones, no nothing. This is a serious race and needs to be approached with some respect for the risks.

So come on out and dog handle with Jenny and Lacey and the other kids and learn what this race is about.

Closer to home for you there are some great 150 mile races. Maybe you should check them out and discuss them with your coaches. It sounds like your getting some great help from the areas mushers. I understand your impatience, but this is nothing to rush into.

Dog Mushers Dad!

carl@gee-haw.com
Go to Top of Page

livengood

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  2:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit livengood's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anyone know if the new website is up yet?

Garrett
Livengood Kennels
Council, Idaho
Go to Top of Page

Dog Mushers Dad

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2011 :  08:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dog Mushers Dad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Garrett,

Last year Lacey made the website and this year the RTTS committee was going to take it over. I do not know the status of it right now.

Lacey is way behind on a writing project that she has to get done. This has caused her to pretty much stop training for the season. She has already had to drop from the Jr Iditarod and she may even have to forgo the Jr RTTS if she doesn't make some great progress soon.

You should contact Ray LaFoy about the Jr RTTS website. It might be best to just put it as a page on the main website for 2011.

Dog Mushers Dad!

carl@gee-haw.com
Go to Top of Page

Dog Mushers Dad

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  07:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dog Mushers Dad's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Way to go Jenny, AKA Anduril musher on winning the 2011 Jr Race to the Sky!

And congratulations to all the kids who ran and finished.

Dog Mushers Dad!

carl@gee-haw.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page