Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Lee

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  09:23:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This past weekend, a member of our group crashed their 3 wheeled cart and broke her leg. The cart was the typical 12 inch wheel barrow wheeled type. There is steering. The gang line was hooked to the cart frame, not the front wheel assembly. This allowed the front wheel to turn sideways (almost) while the dogs were going forward and the result is the cart augers in in a front/sideways motion. Is it safer/preferable to have the gangline rigged into the front wheel so that when the dogs are going forward, the wheel is pointed in the same direction?

How do the big wheeled (bicycle) rigs like cannonball, outlaw and cudos overcome this? All three of these pull off the headframe. Is it a longer wheel base, better weight distribution, more positive steering, or bigger wheels, or do these rigs run the same risk of tipping over?

RSmith

USA
3012 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  7:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ALL of the above!

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Skandinavian Hounds/Stagsters
http://www.adirondack-kennel.com
Go to Top of Page

Dillon_Husky

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2010 :  11:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Dillon_Husky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
4-wheeled carts are the way to go!
Go to Top of Page

Dave Hemmins

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  12:05:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Dave Hemmins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lee
I donít know about the other rigs but the Cudos doesnít have the gang line attached on the headframe . The gang line attaches to the brushbow witch allows full steering movement. As you can see here
http://www.cudosrigs.co.uk/

Dave

Dave
www.eekonoo.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

Lee

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  06:25:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry, i looked at the cudos. i did not realize that the line going up to the frame was just a safety

i also believe that four wheels will provide more stability but there are even fewer suppliers of four wheelers than three wheelers. only the quadriga and the one from norway come to mind in four wheel offerings
Go to Top of Page

shore

USA
414 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  11:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Outlaw full suspension rig is really stable. It positions you in a relatively low, athletic position and because of the shocks it really eats up rough terrain. That may be the case with some of the others, as well.
Go to Top of Page

Ken Castaldi

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2010 :  10:13:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lee, have had rigs set up both ways and have to say there may be an advantage in having the gang line pull from the front wheel. You can still steer but are pulled in the direction of the dogs. The angle of force pulling the rig is probably better too. The little wheels are much more vulnerable to bumps and ruts than the 26 inchers on a Cannonball. What we can never forget is the equipment we use must be appropriate for the trail and conditions. Used a 3 wheel suicide rig (16" bike wheels & rub brakes) for years but that was before ATV's and mostly on dirt roads; the dogs we have now are far better athletes and the trails I train on would make my wife a widow in short order using that rig.
Seems to be quite a few Chambers rigs still around, paid up life insurance and properly filled out organ-donor card should be required!
Finding a rig to use just for racing is a challenge if you don't have deep pockets; don't believe you can have it both ways.........the same piece for racing & training.

Ken Castaldi
Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3012 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  07:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ken Castaldi

Seems to be quite a few Chambers rigs still around, paid up life insurance and properly filled out organ-donor card should be required!

lmao.
Death traps for sure!

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel

Edited by - RSmith on 09/30/2010 07:32:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

sallydawson

USA
782 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2010 :  10:06:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a Cudos, and find it very stable. It DOES pull from the brushbow. Additionally, I have bungie cords between the front wheel and frame so the tire tracks straight ahead with the the dogs - very helpful if I have to step off the rig and lead the pack out of a difficult situation. Otherwise the front wheel CAN turn sideways, sending the rig in the wrong direction.

Sally

Sally J. Dawson and the Mushing'dales
KA8UVQ; "RED HAT" Musher
Live each day as if it is your last
Go to Top of Page

dgsoles

USA
374 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2010 :  09:29:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a three-wheel rig, a homemade job.

The brushbow is a part of the front wheel assembly, so, the dogs are pulling off of the front wheel. It simulates a sled's hookup angle rather nicely. Also, I LOVE having the rig track right behind the dogs. There is no chance of my front wheel going sideways, as it directly follows the dogs.

I can still steer to the full capability, but I'm also only running four dogs. And when they're going full throttle, there isn't a whole lot of steering to be done. Just hold on!

I just want some suspension now....I'm looking at my bruised hands from holding on too tight.

Doug Soles

"What is right is not always popular, and what is popular is not always right."

Northern Dream Dog Sledding
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  6:22:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Chambers Rig. I love it but I want to upgrade the tires/wheels. Bearings mainly. How's the easiest way to upgrade?

I just got into Diggler Scooters this winter too and love them. Makes running a couple dogs so easy.

I bought a Mountain Scooter. Nice!!
Go to Top of Page

Arctis

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  10:20:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Arctis's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On my carts, the gangline is attached to the frame, but it still won't allow the front wheel to turn sideways or even close to that. There's just enough resistance for the front wheel not to wobble and a limited pitch so that it can't turn too far, yet you can still get the cart around tight turns.
Go to Top of Page

Fast E

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  08:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eric Tessmer of Wisc has designed the best steering 3 wheeled racing cart i have ever seen.Watch for advertising for it to be coming out soon on this great steering concept.

www.fastestreeperkennel.com
Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3012 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  6:01:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OK ES, tell us more. LOL

Were working on 2 carts here as well. one in STainless, the other in Chromoly both around 25-30lbs depending on options.

The steering is largely a factor of the design and angles and amount of distance from front to rear wheels and the angle at which you are leanilng on it or forward lean.

Doesn't make TOO much difference WHERE it is pulled from but IMO should never be pulled from the WHEEL or fork.

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel

Edited by - RSmith on 03/21/2012 6:02:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

SKIJOR#1

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  9:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit SKIJOR#1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still race (successfully I might add) on my Chambers rig which is likely 30 years old. Did some nice modifications moving the rear axles back to upgrade to 24 inch high end BMX wheels and tires and added a upgraded bike tire to the front as well. With easily added front wheel stabilizers added to the front wheel it follows the team like a dream. Looks scarey but drives like a sled. I love it. If I were going to upgrade to another rig it would be an Igor Tracz rig from Poland. I want to hear of the new rig you spoke of ED. Do they need a test driver?

Johnn Molburg, www.arcticstarsleds.com
Go to Top of Page

Fast E

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2012 :  12:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i get home(2 weeks) i will get some pic's from Eric and get them posted for you's to check out.

www.fastestreeperkennel.com

Edited by - Fast E on 03/22/2012 12:06:10 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page