New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RSmith

USA
3105 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2012 :  5:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Regina,
Last time I checked, A dose is a dose is a dose. Whether that be 5mg/kg, 10mg, 20mg/Kg.
The DOSE never changes. What DOES is the percent of the active ingredient. You HAVE to extrapolate your Percentages of active ingredient IN the stuff you have.

Example
DOSE : 50mg/Kg
Lets say your Dog is 23Kg.
Dog gets 1,150Mg of Fenbendazole 1X per day.

100% Powder contains 1000mg Fenbendazole per gram, so that 23Kg dog gets just over 1 gram of the 100% powder.
( 23 X 50 = 1,150/1000= 1.15gms)

22.7% Powder/granules contains 227mg Fenbendazole per gram. SO, dog gets just over 5 grams of the 22.7% granules
( 23 X 50 = 1,150/227 = 5.06 )

What I DO have a somewhat question is whether or not I am actually getting close to 100% Pharm. grade stuff when ordering the so called pure powder. ? Who knows. lol

Sally, that price is for a Kg. (2.2lbs)
1Million miligrams in a Kilogram.
1,150mg's per (50lb) dog.
divide the 1150mg into a Million and you get something like 869 dogs worth.

Dr. Tim explained the Whip worm cycle a bit, hard to break the cycle.

IDK, maybe I'm all F$$#@ed up here. Correct me if I'm wrong.
It's embedded in my brain from living with a P.A.

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Skandinavian Hounds/Stagsters
http://www.adirondack-kennel.com

Edited by - RSmith on 04/01/2012 08:39:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

Abenakimals

USA
194 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  3:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Abenakimals's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeh, I guess that is what I was trying to say: That it will take more of the standard 22.7% febendazole to deworm a dog than the 100% (or 99) febendazole.

I have no idea how to prove that the fish one is 99/100% though. ;-)

Regina Caldwell
Abenaki Malamutes
http://abenakimalamutes.weebly.com
Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3105 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  4:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Abenakimals

Yeh, I guess that is what I was trying to say: That it will take more of the standard 22.7% febendazole to deworm a dog than the 100% (or 99) febendazole.

I have no idea how to prove that the fish one is 99/100% though. ;-)

lol. Yeah I know Regina. Same here. How do we really prove the stuff is 100% or whatever. ?
For the price, it sure doesn't seem like it does it?
IDK, there arent too many de-wormers insoluable in water, and Fenbendazole sure is one of them. And this stuff I got claiming to be 100% isn't soluable in water either. So, who knows.
The 22% granules (prescription) in a One lb. tub was fairly inexpensive per-se. Still need prescription.

Heather says to believe them. lol
Labeled for fish.

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Go to Top of Page

sallydawson

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  8:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the great replies.

As for "scooping" - HA! half the time, the #$%$% dog in question "scoops" (eats) his own poop before it even hits the ground ! Especially when he sees me standing their with baggie in hand waiting to beat him to the 'clean up'...

That's the main cause of the problem! Which is why he is being put on a 'diet' of DE - at least through the summer, to see if we can stop the cycle. Will be interesting to see if the DE has any affect on the poop eating itself..... Probably not - he's has been very persistant and resistant through any number of 'cures'....

Sally

Sally J. Dawson and the Mushing'dales
N1BCF; "RED HAT" Musher
Live each day as if it is your last
Go to Top of Page

musher81

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  02:48:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
flyingalong-

I buy a one liter jug of liquid cattle Safeguard (fenbendazole) for about $115. It does my kennel of 22 for three days with enough leftover to deworm any problem dogs. Lots of online vet supply companies sell it. I use kvsuppy.com since they don't charge for shipping. I'd definitely be interested in trying to fish stuff as well, but I guess I'd want to know if it's really that pure.

Roy- do you know if fish dewormer is regulated by the USDA or FDA? There might be a way to track down the info.

Kristin
Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3105 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  06:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the stuff labled for cattle just make sure its at Least 10%. A lot of it I see labled for cattle is less than One percent. some crazy low number and when dogs are @50mg/Kg you would need a heck of a lot of it. Even at 10% solution you still need quite a bit like 11.5ml per 23Kg Dog for one dose.
I should look into whether fish stuff is regulated but I am doubting it.

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel
Go to Top of Page

nwalek

USA
178 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  2:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you guys make the safequard suspension more palatable?
the pink soup doesn't seem to be a favorite meal for mine.
Go to Top of Page

RSmith

USA
3105 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2012 :  2:27:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit RSmith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Norm, the suspension IS quite palatable. "Pink Soup eh" ? lol I put mine on top of the food and the ones that won't eat it, down the old throat with syringe then give a half piece of bread for a treat. SOme will pick around at food, most chow their food right down no matter what I put on it.

Ive also put in in bread or soaked up on something but they learn quick.

IDK, I think it's the powder/granules that is the bastard. It sticks to the sides or floats and always end up with some left behind. So for that I mix with canola oil and it turns into a sort of suspension then add to top of food.

Roy Smith
Adirondack Kennel

Edited by - RSmith on 05/01/2012 2:28:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page