General Discussion
 may relocate to milwaukee area....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sk8z27

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  8:28:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit sk8z27's Homepage  Reply with Quote
my job may move me to the milwaukee area from st. louis. i'd be working at the airport so i'm looking somewhere fairly close. i just picked up bikejoring and would eventually like to get them involved in dryland and regular mushing. mushing/dogsledding in any form is not too popular here. i'm assuming mushing is pretty big in wisconsin, but what about the mke area? i'm also an avid bike racer, road bicycles and mt. bikes that is. my criteria is somewhere decent with good road cycling routes from my front door, actually i don't mind riding 5-10 miles on congested urban roads to get to the good country roads. i would like there to be bike or snowmobile trails within a 20-30 minute drive where i could take the dogs bikejoring/dryland training. i'd also like it to be no more then a 30 minute drive to the airport. i really have no ideas on good or bad areas. i've only been up there for superweek, the three week bike races, but not enough time to get to know the area. appreciate any advice.

work hard, play harder!!!
http://richsramblings27.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/sk8z27

Edited by - sk8z27 on 02/10/2010 06:28:10 AM

Whytepine

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2010 :  9:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Whytepine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Which airport will you be working at? My stepson lives in St. Francis, a 'burb of Milwaukee. Let me know and I can ask him what a good area would be.

Roben &
Siberians, Alaskans & Eskies
Go to Top of Page

sk8z27

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  05:30:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit sk8z27's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i would be working at the main airport, general mitchell airport. thanks.

work hard, play harder!!!
http://richsramblings27.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/sk8z27
Go to Top of Page

SKIJOR#1

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  07:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit SKIJOR#1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Google Wisconsin Trailblazer Sled Dog Club or find the link on SDC. Great club with both snow and dryland events. I will be racing there this weekend.

Johnn Molburg, www.arcticstarsleds.com
Go to Top of Page

Frozen Tundra

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2010 :  1:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm from the Milwaukee area originally, now in far northern Illinois. If 20-30 miles is your goal for trails, you should be good pretty much everywhere. Wisconsin is great about allowing dogs in their state parks and preserves. Especially nice is the dog friendly training throughout the Kettle Morraine area. Bong rec area west of Kenosha has designated dog training areas as well. You should be able to find trails pretty close no matter where you go.
What I would focus on is dog limits within the towns and municipalities you are looking at. Some are incredibly restrictive, some have no laws at all about numbers. Research the towns and limits and that might narrow your choices down a bit.
Good luck~

Mary Beth
Frozen Tundra Siberians
Go to Top of Page

kenoshakat

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  1:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Kenosha, wanting to become involved. Unsure how to start alone?

Go to Top of Page

race em

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  2:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean involved? Are you asking how do yo get started in sled dogs? where do you buy dogs, food, housing, training equip? How do you get involved w/ a club, a race, a charity? Can you be a little more specific?
Go to Top of Page

kenoshakat

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  2:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry

Specifically I'd like to learn to Skijor

Strictly recreationally, maybe some low level competitions.
I have the dogs - and they are spoiled rotten house dogs too.

So I guess I'd like info on clubs, racing and training....

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1449 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  2:52:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you checked out the main Sled Dog Central web site?

Have a look at the Clubs & Organizations pages as well as the Beginners Section.

Judy Bergemann
Go to Top of Page

kenoshakat

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  3:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did, was hoping to find something geographically closer - most of what I found was pretty far away. I will however check again in case I overlooked something.
Go to Top of Page

Admin

USA
1449 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  5:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wisconsin Trailblazers meetings/members shouldn't be too far--at least it's in the same state!

They're a helpful group and may even have members near you.

Judy Bergemann
Go to Top of Page

kenoshakat

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  08:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are pretty far up north, but yes same state!! Altho Wausau is 4-5 hour drive for me
Go to Top of Page

lewjoh

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  05:06:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit lewjoh's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I grew up in Watertown and later lived in the Madison area and don't recall ever seeing any mushing or skijoring. Never saw either one until I moved to Alaska. Not sure what kind of a mushing or skijoring "scene" there is that far south.
Frozen Tundra has a good point too. Check out the laws of the land before you start getting too involved in this stuff. Not only in the number of dogs you can have but also if dog teams are even allowed on the trails. I've heard that the snowmobile clubs can be very territorial.
Best of luck!
- Chris

"A dog is better than I, for he has love and does not judge."
Go to Top of Page

EllieRose

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2010 :  3:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit EllieRose's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a pretty good mushing scene here in WI! We'll get you all set, don't worry!

www.freewebs.com/briarlea
Go to Top of Page

kenoshakat

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually have some of my own trails to train on, not long distance stuff but it will be great for a start!!!

Thanks everyone for such a warm welcome
Go to Top of Page

F Kuehn

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2010 :  11:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lived in Watertown WI about 45 minutes from MKE airport, i think that is the name. The area is relatively uneducated about the the concept of sled dogs. Depending on the number of dogs you will need a conditional use permit for your residence. I think the magic number was 4 or more dogs but not sure. I could check if you would like to know more. I ran on the snowmobile trails with a four wheeler or sled depending on conditions. There was a extensive bike trail system that was relatively rural as I remember which could work well for bikejoring. There are a few other mushers in the area I think. One is in Milwaukee not sure how they do it but they also give sled rides in a park when the weather permits. I can give you more info on the area and area and maybe help with other questions if you need. Feel free to drop me a line. fkuehn@hotmail.com Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page