Whelping box bedding
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Born_To_Run

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  02:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am expecting a litter of puppies in early february and I can't seem to decide what to line the whelping box with straw, wood shavings, blankets, nothing, etc.

Any suggestions?

I have a 3x4ft plywood box, inside my cabin.

Ladysibes

Canada
468 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  08:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've always used a couple of old towels and line a large crate or the whelping box with them.
The bitches will shred them up when they get close to whelping so we just replace them. Cheap and easy fix - especially if you get the towels from a second hand or thrift store. Light flannel sheets work well too. Either of these are easy to wash.
Go to Top of Page

Cliff Maxfield

USA
2631 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  09:06:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is important in the whelping box is good traction for the infant pups - not so much creature comfort for MOM. They need access to the Mother's dugs. I would use old carpet or towels too but be careful that babies do't get caught up/trapped and then can't nurse.
I wouldn't use straw or shavings till pups get real mobile like four to six weeks and would opt for news paper - two cents

Edited by - Cliff Maxfield on 12/08/2009 09:07:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Susie Rogan

Canada
1001 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  11:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the first 5 days we use smooth comforters (I don't know what others call them, but cheap duvet-like blankets that go on top of the sheets and blankets on a bed). If the mother dog starts fluffing them up or moving them around, we take it away. There is a real danger of a pup getting caught up in the folds and suffocated or crushed. This happened to a friend of mine. He found a pup dead tangled up in the folds of a blanket in the whelping box.

We wash the blanket every day or two, replacing it with a fresh one.

Once they are 6 days old or so, we remove all bedding. The mother is trying to keep the place clean and the bedding does not help, likewise with straw and wood chips. I had a real problem with the look of that - no bedding for the pups! But noticed that Hans was right that the mother dog pushes it away anyways. If your box has a wood bottom, the puppies' little claws can push against the grain.

So there's what we do, and why. Enjoy your pups! I'm jealous!
Go to Top of Page

Born_To_Run

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  3:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all for the good information.

There is something to be said about teamwork.
Go to Top of Page

cricket

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  10:36:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cricket's Homepage  Reply with Quote
we use straw
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page