SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Breed Discussion
 Hybrids/Crossbreds
 Vizsla's and GSP's as lead dogs?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seasnipper Posted - 11/21/2017 : 9:53:34 PM
I'm looking for information on purebred GSP's and Vizsla's as lead dogs, or as sled dogs in general..

I have two active sled dogs right now, neither of which are leaders, they're learning but it'll take a while. I'm very partial to hound-type dogs ever since I got close with my semi-retired rescue Vizsla(?) mix. He has been diagnosed with bilateral hip dysplasia, so no real running with him in the team until long after he gets his hip replacements in. I'm moving from Georgia to North Carolina to be able to train them more, and expand my tiny kennel. Anyway, I know it's probably better to go with Alaskan Huskies or Eurohounds from a proven bloodline, but there's not a surplus of sled dogs for sale within a 15 hour distance, whereas there's multiple working Vizsla and GSP breeders somewhat close by. I've never had a purebred GSP or Vizsla and most of the information I've found about them is on training them to hunt, not relating at all to mushing.

I'm really eager to work with more dogs, I tend to run out of dogs to go running with. The two non-leaders have a lot of potential, the female is just very unsure in lead and the male realizes once he's in front that he can mark whatever he wants.

As for Vizsla's and GSP's, which breed do you think would do better in lead? What are they like indoors? Are they easier to train than most Alaskan Huskies? Are they generally confident? What's their endurance like? And which is more people oriented (clingy)? any info at all is greatly appreciated
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
IdahoMusher Posted - 12/10/2017 : 10:02:39 AM
I have 3/8 GSH crosses (actually a bit of English in some) that I like a lot. I've had Alaskans for nearly 40 years, switched just to try something new. They do seem more personable. I've seen purebred GSH teams doing very well. My own are running well though still quite young at 2 and 3-years old. The other 5/8 is Alaskans from racing pedigrees, as are the pointers (from racing pedigrees). One thing about the racing pedigrees is probably that dysplasia is unheard of. There are many lovely dogs of pointer bloodlines for sale from mushers, and if you wanted to get going, I would suggest buying one or two. You'd get rolling quicker and the health would be better. Keep an eye on SDC for ads. A drive is worth it if you get good dogs.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page