SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health: General

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IdahoMusher Posted - 05/26/2016 : 3:10:11 PM
Found the first tick of this year, unexpectedly in my yard. So I asked my vet if they knew of any Lyme disease in this area (SE Idaho). They said not. When I take dogs out on trips, I use bug spray on their legs and bottomsides, as I do on my own pantlegs, which seems to work, but I'm curious - what tick problems are other mushers aware of or have to deal with? Are Lyme disease or other tick-borne ailments in your locale? Do you have to use chemical prevention?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
IdahoMusher Posted - 05/28/2016 : 05:07:00 AM
That was a great map. I see Idaho has a pretty low rate of Lyme.
gonetodogs Posted - 05/27/2016 : 9:35:01 PM
If you look at the CDC stats and maps, SE Idaho does show a significant proportion its incidences occurring there in 2013 and 2014. I remember a GP once telling me that Lyme disease did not occur in British Columbia......totally erroneous information given by someone not keeping current with the literature.

That site also has stats on other tick-borne diseases that may interest you.
IdahoMusher Posted - 05/27/2016 : 4:19:04 PM
Wow, you have to detickify your dogs even in the kennel? (New word, there). Usually I've only seen them out in the sagebrush. Creepiest of creatures, aren't they?
RSmith Posted - 05/27/2016 : 05:38:07 AM
All sorts of disease/complications ticks and fleas can transmit, not just lyme.
I use permethrin spray ( 1% ) and topically at 38% monthly as well as a growth regulator Fipronil 9% also monthly. Have to. All FDA approved.
Some breeds may have issues with these but I have had none in 15 yrs.

Do you HAVE to use pesticides, of course not. I just CHOOSE to because its been tested and relatively safe and approved for dogs and have had actual trials and double blind experimentation,etc,.

Others can choose to use less " toxic " substances, their choice.
But when used AS DIRECTED my dogs have had no side effects.

I use them 8 months a year.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page