SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 Flies!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
IdahoMusher Posted - 08/11/2015 : 6:06:00 PM
Does anyone have any successful fly-bite prevention strategies? I have used sprays containing DEET in the past, but last summer it seemed the flies were thriving on them. The flies bite ears mostly, and favor white or older dogs.
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RSmith Posted - 08/12/2015 : 7:06:45 PM
Yeah a Gallon of the 10% for $60 on Amazon, great deal.
You can also get 36.8% too and water/oil it down to 20% or use straight to really keep the ticks down. Spray on feet and around legs. Once you get into the 40% or 50% I believe it becomes proprietary or something? Not sure.
Just be careful not to overdose your critters. Once fly season and tick season goes way, stop using it.
IdahoMusher Posted - 08/12/2015 : 09:59:22 AM
Thanks for the info. Ordered a gallon of permethrin!
sallydawson Posted - 08/11/2015 : 9:37:29 PM
Second vote for SWAT. Good (but stinky) stuff. I put it on their ears about every other day, and a few dabs on their back and base of tail too.

Sally
RSmith Posted - 08/11/2015 : 6:47:21 PM
Swat works pretty good. It will get their ears filthy but who cares for the bug season. It wears off after time. The duration is only a few days though. But it works and inexpensive. There was a pink and a clear/white. I think the only difference is one was or is safe for wounds or cuts. not sure.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/PetsUnited/TSLT100508?wid=500&hei=500

What may work better is permethrins at 10% or better. DOn't bother with the .5 or 1 % or 2 % stuff. That will work same thing 3-4 days.
I have used it on the top of my head/hair and it sure does keep the horse/deer flys ( and everything else ) from biting. They will sort of land, but quickly disappear.
Deet won't do crap, except I have used it on the legs of dogs to keep deer ticks off. But rather use permethrins. Deet can be toxic.

http://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10-32oz-Quart/dp/B00061MSS0

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page