SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Breed Discussion
 Hybrids/Crossbreds
 GSD/Wolf

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RaigenB Posted - 01/26/2015 : 07:20:27 AM
I was told that my 7 month old GSD is about 1/8 wolf. I know you can't actually know unless you do a DNA test but I still believe she has some in her.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Old Geezer Posted - 03/08/2015 : 6:36:48 PM
A couple weeks ago Westminster Dog Show - LASA APHSO MOST WOLF LIKE. I THOUGHT - NUTS BUT WE HAVE A LASA AND I DOES MAKES SENSE. DID MORE RESEARCH AND MADE MORE SENSE. THEY (RESEARCHERS) ARE REFFERRING TO THE MENTAL, NO WAY THE CONFORMATION. Devoted at a distance. Always there but never "in your face".

Whatever the case dogs are the most diverse mammal on the planet earth.

Theo - good article. THANKs
Theo Posted - 03/02/2015 : 1:17:38 PM
Heres a study that points to recent and ongoing wolf hybridization in shepherd dogs of the Caucasus Mountains:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/04/140414092144.htm

I always thought Caucasian Mountain dogs looked pretty "wolfy"
Old Geezer Posted - 02/25/2015 : 1:52:09 PM
RaigenB Will you be using her as a sled dog? I love Alaskan Huskies but adored my German Shepherd. Most intelligent, loyal dog I've ever owned. Miss her dearly.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/pets/dogs-not-as-close-kin-to-wolves-as-thought-140116.htm

Great Site !!

AND POINT MADE: There are several wolf types. Thanks for sharing.
Theo Posted - 02/18/2015 : 3:54:48 PM
Some GSD's have "sable" coloration consisting of banded hairs. Its known as the agouti gene. Siberian huskies can have it too. According to the original studbook, all GSD's have a smattering of wolf blood. Von Stephonetz bred a little bit in there. GSD's have a weird mix of genetic influences. They were originally bred to herd sheep, but they are less closely related to breeds like border collies than they are too the mastiff group.

Working lines tend to have the sable coloration more. I tend to think the sables are a bit more wolf like than the black and tans. They do things like regurgitate food for their young. Its a breed I admire, but a lot of them have hip problems, if yours doesn't count yourself really lucky.

Nice looking dog. Good luck with her!
rbibberjr Posted - 02/05/2015 : 4:23:30 PM
I agree with Redwolf - 100% GSD there. Looks just like a purebred GSD my daughter had.
RedWolf Posted - 02/04/2015 : 4:13:08 PM
She's a gorgeous pup, and from the looks of her she's 100% GSD. Lovely dog; she photographs very well.
midnightwind Posted - 02/02/2015 : 7:22:41 PM
dogs and wolves share a common ancestor - that doesn't mean dogs are wolves any more than people are apes. Apparently dogs are much more closely related to each other than to living wolves:

http://news.discovery.com/animals/pets/dogs-not-as-close-kin-to-wolves-as-thought-140116.htm
Old Geezer Posted - 01/31/2015 : 5:59:51 PM
LOOKS LIKE A GERMAN SHEPHERD TO ME. PEOPLE LOVE TO BELIEVE BUT I MAINTAIN ALL DOGS ARE WOLVES THAT IS FACT. Recently PBS did a two part series on the dog. Ray Coppinger has dedicated his life to canid studies. I trust his judgment. VIRTUALLY EVERY DOG IS A WOLF.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/dogs-that-changed-the-world-full-episode-dogs-that-changed-the-world-dogs-by-design/8372/

WATCH THIS TWO PART SERIES IF YOU CAN - IT MAY ANSWER YOUR QUESTION
RedWolf Posted - 01/31/2015 : 06:53:26 AM
Things like noticeable wariness around strange people (not just being a little shy--more like 'Who the heck is that I don't know that person I'm not going anywhere near them' wariness), an ultra-strong prey drive (not just chasing small animals, but chasing them w/ a 100% laser-like focus and the intent of eating whatever is being chased), and a strong dislike/disregard for training (since you said she knows "Sit" and "Down", this doesn't appear to be an issue). There's others, but I need to pull some of my sources first....

I'll look at the pix later this AM when I'm on a faster 'Net connection (home computer has dialup).
RaigenB Posted - 01/29/2015 : 1:45:33 PM
Here's a link to my Tumblr page, I just posted like 8 or 9 pics of Aurora and some with my Lab, Cabela.

http://www.raigenbailey.tumblr.com
RaigenB Posted - 01/29/2015 : 11:54:39 AM
Oh ok, I'll see if I can figure something out!! :)
Admin Posted - 01/29/2015 : 10:06:05 AM
Although you can't post a photo here, you can provide a link to photos you may have online.
RaigenB Posted - 01/29/2015 : 09:27:55 AM
Ya im not sure how to post a pic on here
RaigenB Posted - 01/29/2015 : 09:24:53 AM
Well as of today, I've had her for a week now. Do you have some examples of what you're meaning?

She hasnt has any obedience training so I feel like she doesn't want to listen that well, but she also doesn't really know any commands besides sit and lay down.

I'll try and post a picture. I'm on my phone so I'll see if I can figure it out lol
RedWolf Posted - 01/29/2015 : 05:55:13 AM
Are there any traits you've witnessed, either in your pup or her mother if you've had the chance to spend time w/ her, which seem more wolf-like than dog-like? There's a fair amount of anecdotal evidence that wolf-dog crosses are more opinionated (my term) than any dog breed, even the independent-thinking ones.

Any pictures?

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page