SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Traditional Mushing
 Traditional Mushing
 Mushing in the 60s

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Barry Posted - 06/16/2014 : 08:57:52 AM
During the 1960's I did military training in the North of Canada. Our unit was divided up and each of us was assigned to an Inuit family. We were to be shown how to survive in the cold Arctic climate. At first the Inuit didn't seem to like us English guys and were a little off hand with us. The second morning I was there I was up early and outside making a fuss of the huskies,they were Canadian Eskimo dogs. Jimmy,the Inuit stood watching me for a while and then a big grin came across his face,''you like dogs?'' he asked,I told him that I loved dogs and that I had kept dogs all my life.After that we hit it off great. Jimmy showed me how to hitch a team up to a sled and after just a day I was allowed to drive a team on my own. We were also shown how to keep warm and to hunt for our food. It was one of the best four weeks of my life and ever since then I have had a great love of sled dogs.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Qimmiq Posted - 06/19/2014 : 05:42:07 AM
Barry, might you have photos of those dogs to share? Images of the Inuit Dogs from that era are important.
gonetodogs Posted - 06/19/2014 : 12:34:25 AM
Where you originally stationed in Goose Bay? Which Inuit community were you in for your billet?

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page