SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 vaccination boosters

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sinnok mutts Posted - 06/13/2012 : 04:16:15 AM
I've been reading through many of the vaccination topics, I see some go way back in years. I need clarification on the 3 year (5 way) vaccines. I know the rabies schedule for Alaska as; 1st shot required at 6 months, one shot first year, 2nd shot the year after - which is then good for 3 years. (please correct if I am wrong).

My question's regard the other shot (5 way) for other diseases.
#1 - puppies, 6 weeks (1st), 9 weeks (2nd), 12 weeks (3rd), then 1 year (4th), AND adults, 1 year or first time, then every year after?
#2 - now with new vaccines adults getting (1st) shot, booster at 3 to 4 weeks (2nd), then good for 3 years?
#3 - does the (2nd) booster have to be given by 3 to 4 weeks after the first, if not within that time - does it have to wait 1 year after (considered 2nd) OR can it be longer than 3 to 4 weeks and still be considered a booster, then it's good for 3 years or only 1 year (if one year, then the following year is good for 3 years)?
#4 - different or same schedule for sled dogs, racing (traveling) sled dogs, and house/pet dogs?
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
swanny Posted - 06/15/2012 : 05:04:03 AM
Sinnok mutts, if you download the AAHA vaccine recomendations from http://www.aahanet.org/publicdocuments/vaccineguidelines06revised.pdf you'll find current recommendations, and a good, scientifically indepth rationale for the guidelines.

Keep in mind that some RGOs require much more frequent and wide-spread vaccinations than the guidelines, and never seem to be willing to provide a scientific rationale for their requirements. It's a bit of a pet peeve.
RSmith Posted - 06/13/2012 : 08:35:57 AM
16 weeks is vital, then a year after that. ( 6,9,12,16 and 1 yr).
I have never heard of a pup needing shots at 3-4 weeks? Not sure I follow you with respect to "new vaccines adults"..

Puppies need the series until a year old, when they get another one.
After that, research it can go for 3 to 7 years and some say much longer.
Some recommend giving just Parvo for the 1st (6wks) and possibly the 2nd (9-10wks) because the 5 or 7 way may make them sick because they are so young it may be overwhelming.
I've never seen too many problems with giving a 5 way at 6 wks.

Racing/traveling dogs IMO, every 3 yrs but some race rules state boosters are needed every YEAR. However,many RGO's are changing that rule from what I can see.

I don't think (IMO) for a good high quality vaccine, it is not uncommon for that immunization to last longer than 3 yrs.( in a dog older than 1 yr old).

There is some good stuff here on this if you search the archives or older posts.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page