SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 Pancure delivery method

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bluesharpplayer Posted - 05/28/2012 : 11:32:38 AM
I had to worm a dog and got some Pancure from the vet. I could not get him to eat the powder. I mixed it in with water/dry food, multiple wet foods, meat, peanut butter. He would eat a bit and leave it. So I had to pick up more and star over.

Well I found the "miracle delivery method." A small squirt of whip cream for the bottle, then dump and stir the powder in - and gone in 60 sec.

How does everyone else do it with with picky dogs?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RSmith Posted - 06/05/2012 : 10:19:25 AM
The only thing that will work for tapes are Praziquantel and Fenbendazole.
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 06/05/2012 : 09:56:21 AM
I'm trying to get tape worms. I'm going to order some three way dewormer so I don't even have to worry about whether or not it's working.
RSmith Posted - 06/05/2012 : 09:11:04 AM
Dan, I only use the Ivermectin for HW preventative (and sometimes skin conditions or mites) and the dose is so small it's like 600micrograms. Might want to look up the dose yourself. It is not really used too much for GI parasites, but some use it for rounds and hooks. If your using Ivermectin I'd use the 1% solution and use a DROP or 1/8cc for HW preventative. For skin conditions or mites I have used it at a rate of .1cc per 10lbs body weight SC, which can 'burn' the dog but sometimes is effective. (this is the 1% solution).

Heres some horse info I took of somewhere:
1.87% ivermectin paste. 6.08 g syringe treats up to 1,250 lbs.

It's gonna be a tiny amount on dogs, that's for sure.

But what's your target species? I don't know how many people use Ivermectin for GI parasites? Maybe a lot do? I just don't know the dose for rounds,hooks sorry. I CAN tell you that it is a common substance that is widely OVER dosed with. Unlike Fenbendazole which seems to be widely UNDER dosed.

D.Heilbrunn Posted - 06/04/2012 : 4:36:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RSmith

I guess a simpler way to look at it is a dog gets TEN TIMES the dose of a horse !

Roy, is the same true for equine Ivermectin paste?
EllieRose Posted - 05/31/2012 : 9:02:31 PM
I had to laugh today. When I first read this topic, I laughed cause my dogs will eat anything! So today when I tried to deworm my new lab pup with the granules, and darn if she didn't stick her nose up at it!

I use the paste for my microkennel of 8 huskies and so Miss Libby Lab will be getting that this weekend instead.
RSmith Posted - 05/31/2012 : 08:42:44 AM
Norm,
I never had a problem with the dogs not eating that paste when I used it. But, with a large kennel it is expensive to use that stuff. The powder is much more economical or even getting your vet to prescribe the 1 lb. jar of 22% granules. It's a lot (of paste) to give, but they still ate it. I used to give about 1/2 the amount then let them swallow it and then the other half.
The thing about the metric system is it always comes out nice even numbers. ( 500lbs. of horse OR 50lb. dog.) (5mg/Kg OR 50mg/Kg.) lol
nwalek Posted - 05/31/2012 : 08:32:21 AM
Apple-cinnamon paste. YUM! dogs don't try and gag that out of their throats?
Art Stoller Posted - 05/30/2012 : 9:48:00 PM
Exactly correct Roy. The tube is marked @ 500 lb increments which corresponds nicely with an average sled dog's weight of 50 lbs. I have confirmed that this dosage is correct with 2 different vets and have used it for a number of years. I've been told that it will be sufficient for even up to an 80lb dog.
I've found this to be an efficient and economical (for Panacur) way to keep the dogs worm free when alternated with Pyra.Pam.
Art
RSmith Posted - 05/30/2012 : 07:55:56 AM
Just make sure with the paste you follow the published DOG dose, not the marks on tube. Marks on tube are helpful but they are for HORSE dose (5-10mg/Kg) A 50lb dog needs approx. 11.5ml. (or 1150mg) of the 10%.
For instance the BIG 290g paste says it treats 12,760 lbs. of body weight. That's HORSE. The same tube treats only 1,276 lbs. of DOG weight.

I guess a simpler way to look at it is a dog gets TEN TIMES the dose of a horse !
bluesharpplayer Posted - 05/30/2012 : 07:06:23 AM
The paste sounds good. I think if I had to give it to more than 1 dog/or more doses that would be a much easier way to go.
Art Stoller Posted - 05/29/2012 : 4:53:23 PM
I use the big tubes of paste that are for cows & horses. Dosing is easy with the markings on the tube and you just squirt it onto the roof of their mouth - very hard for them to spit it out. Product name - Safeguard 10% Paste (100mg/g)
RSmith Posted - 05/29/2012 : 08:10:58 AM
Same as Ray Above.
Razor Posted - 05/28/2012 : 3:39:56 PM
Liquid panacure. Given orally with a syringe.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page