SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Breed Discussion
 Hybrids/Crossbreds
 The many hats of the GSP

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Jeff Eberle Posted - 09/09/2014 : 8:06:10 PM
I was surprised to see the GSP in your world. But I guess I should of know that there is no end to this versatile dog. Some hunter in my world have bred the GPS into their hounds for what we call head up track speed and winding ability. So what is it that they bring to the sled dog world ? And what percentage of GPS crosses work best or do you run full blooded GPS. What are the pluses and minuses of them in your team ?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jeff Eberle Posted - 10/01/2014 : 1:44:26 PM
Give me about another year and I may have a story or two to tell about the 1/2 GSP 1/2 Walker hound pup I picked up last saturday
RedWolf Posted - 09/22/2014 : 4:21:31 PM
From what I've read/seen/heard/etc, breeding GSPs or other Pointers into a line seems related to a couple things: increased traveling gait (at any speed), increased drive to go all-out (esp in sprint lines), and increased biddability/trainability. Anyone w/ 1sthand knowledge want to concur?
IN Posted - 09/20/2014 : 12:48:14 PM
English pointer had been used quite often too.
Jeff Eberle Posted - 09/18/2014 : 4:49:59 PM
Why do you guys think that more people use or cross the GSP into their dogs. And not the English pointer or other bird dog breeds ?
Indrek Posted - 09/10/2014 : 2:53:59 PM
I think also speed and sensitivity towards people. Huskies are self thinkers mostly compared to GSP.
When conserning breeding..then for 4dog sprints and so..its pretty easy to size up the dog when mixing in GSP. A lot of muscle and long legs = speed.
And they have something that greyhounds dont..conserning digestive system toughness.I will not comment that more because its a bit dark area for me.
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 09/10/2014 : 1:06:00 PM
The right hound has a higher top speed than most huskies, but most good huskies are tougher and less likely to quit when the going gets tough or the run goes longer than expected. Short coats have their advantages and disadvantages. I've got good bloodlines of Alaskan huskies and hound crosses, but find all my hound crosses a little more neurotic and soft in the head compared to my Alaskans - you just say boo to the hounds and they jump forward, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Because they tend to be so sensitive, they have certainly taught me to be a quieter dog musher, which I think is a good thing no matter what kinda dog. I'm curious what other people think about this topic nowadays too.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page