SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Raising Sled Dogs
 Pregnancy-single pup

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pruettch Posted - 05/05/2014 : 6:55:01 PM
I am wondering if anyone has experience with a pregnancy producing a single pup. My five year old Siberian has one pup confirmed by a radiograph at 42 days. There were two ties, two days apart. My vet has little experience with breeding populations. I am wondering if this might suggest any particular problems.

Many thanks!
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
midnightwind Posted - 06/01/2014 : 9:22:21 PM
a 2nd professional opinion seems well advised
pruettch Posted - 06/01/2014 : 11:31:22 AM
Thanks to all for your thoughts! Still uncovering missteps and intrigue along the way...

This predicament was certainly complicated by the timing of the labor (over the weekend, like Frank's). The attending vet tried to recruit the senior vet (owner) at my suggestion over that weekend, but was advised otherwise. A couple days after the surgery, she called to inform me that the pup was not too large to have been delivered vaginally, as the senior has stated (he did the c-section). Rather, she said the pup was medium in size, a female, well-formed, and full term. She attributed the problem to uterine inertia (like Frank's mother).

Despite their resistance to treating my girl, once they agreed to do the c-section (as an "elective" surgery until they opened her up, 2-3 days after stage 1 labor had begun), they pressured me to have them do it as a spay. I told then no, that I would decide that at a later date.

The senior vet (surgeon in this case) told me post-op that she must be spayed because of the c-section. It is my understanding that a c-section does not necessarily demand a spay. I selected her as a foundation for a small team. She is of excellent health, line, and ability, but I don't want to invite more trouble or more trauma for her.
Polaris7 Posted - 05/31/2014 : 3:18:06 PM
So sorry Christina, how's mom? I know this has to be so difficult for you.
I adopted a stray husky and told 2 vets i believed she was pregnant, because as she was putting on weight after being extremely sick it was all in the belly area. It sounds weird but also my dog told me with her eyes she was pregnant ... LOL
"Nope" they both told me on two separate occasions. They decided to run blood work because she had also had a seizure. Blood work was abnormal so they decided to open her up believing it was an infected uterus, well they ended up calling me from the surgery room saying 'actually the uterus looks good and there are pups in there and we think they are alive.
How about that one?!
More to the story but ending is ...I have a sled dog team :)
Razor Posted - 05/22/2014 : 12:49:07 PM
Interesting topic. Sorry for your loss pruettch.
What a lot of people don't realize, is that pups are born 61-63 AFTER the mothers cycle is over, so even after she is bred, if she stays in heet for several more days, the count starts at that point. A female may have not been fertile at the time of breeding, but several days after, as well, males sperm can stay active for up to 10 days after copulation.

I had a female caught last year only 2 days into her heat. I figured nothing would happen, being so early. 72 days after she was bred, she gave birth to 1 strong female pup. I equated it to the sperm, or at least 1 surviving long enough for her to drop her eggs within 9 days of her being bred, and that was why there was only 1 pup. When I do a breed it is usually on day 10 and 12, or 12 and 14. They usually come out of heat within 2-3 days after the last breed.
Holmberg Posted - 05/20/2014 : 9:02:44 PM
So sorry. We had the exact same circumstances with the vet not wanting to be called out to the office on a week end. My wife and I have been there and it still hurts some. Not your fault. You did what you could and consulted a professional.
pruettch Posted - 05/20/2014 : 7:51:24 PM
While I thought I was heeding Frank's advice, I did not do so carefully enough.

Today (day 68) I demanded an xray and c-section for the mother. They agreed only with much argument on my part calling it an "elective surgery," requiring that I sign a consent form (waiver), and advised me that I may very well be threatening the life of the pup (premature) and putting my girl at undue risk in an unnecessary procedure.

The procedure tragically contradicted this. They discovered a very large pup, one that the mother would not likely have been able to deliver, and one that was live at birth but died because of fluid in its lungs. They also said the amniotic fluid was not good in color, and my girl had begun to experience toxicity. The mother is staying overnight with IV.
Holmberg Posted - 05/20/2014 : 4:43:35 PM
We were told by our vet that inducing labor may cause the uterus to rupture in an older dog. I wish we would have pushed for the c-section while the pup was still alive. 70-72 days seems long? Hope all is well.
pruettch Posted - 05/19/2014 : 4:37:23 PM
Just want to follow up on my previous post and extend a special thanks for posting the warning about uterine inertia. My Sib with the singleton may be following that pattern.

Temp and behavior indicated the onset of whelping Late Friday/early Saturday for my girl (day 65/64). After 24 hours with no result, I called the vet (weekend of course)and have been in touch with her since. She was conservative wanting to wait until day 70 or even 72 days for any action.

After pressing her with my concerns, she saw my girl today for blood work and an ultra sound--all normal--and advised to take it day by day but continue the vigil.

Wondering if the vet attempted to induce labor in the case of Frank's female?

Also, she's said that if a c-section is required, then she wants to spay at the same time because of the singleton pregnancy.

Any and all comments much appreciated...


Holmberg Posted - 05/07/2014 : 9:22:36 PM
Likely you know that most will go off their food the night before whelping. With one pup low uterine inertia can occur. Whelping is typically imminent once the mother's temp drops to and stays below 99f for more than 24hrs if I recall rite. Anyhow we had a dog with all those symptoms and then the temp came back up and she got back on her food. We contacted a vet and got blown off. Turns out she had a single large pup in her that we had taken out c-section a few days later. Pup was dead by then. So those would be the concerns. Pay attention and use your vet if need be. Be persistent if you must.
pruettch Posted - 05/06/2014 : 11:17:00 PM
...very nice to know and much appreciated. -Christina
RSmith Posted - 05/06/2014 : 08:33:45 AM
Christina, I am not aware of any studies suggesting anything wrong going on with singletons. I have had 2 different bitches both TWICE producing singletons and I had no problems with the pups or the bitches in the years following. They both also produced litters of 6 and 12 and the ages were 6 and 4 .
Single pups should be well socialized and if possible with other young dogs or pups.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page
Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07