SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 collar rings - dangerous ?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Polaris7 Posted - 09/22/2013 : 11:11:06 AM
I recently ordered 7 or 8 of the Adult Full Circle - O Ring collars. I have Five - 10 month old huskies ranging in size from 45-55 lbs. When I went in their pen yesterday after hearing much commotion (more than normal for playful pups) I discovered that one of the males had his lower jaw caught in the large ring of the collar of one of the females. She was losing consciousness as it was acting like a tourniquet on her neck. I ran for scissors and cut them loose. It was very scary for me and luckily they both appear fine now. Any similar stories out there?
p.s. Im removing all of these collars and getting new types
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Polaris7 Posted - 09/26/2013 : 9:45:12 PM
Thank you for sharing your experiences, I really like the idea of no collars unless training. Never thought of the chainlink fence and tags catching on it, , wow. All of my dogs are microchipped.
Gail Posted - 09/24/2013 : 1:23:02 PM
Years ago I had 2 great danes get stuck together when they were wrestling. Both were wearing martingale collars and one dog got her jaw under the other dog's collar and it twisted around. She was scared and pulling to get loose and was choking him and we cut his collar off. Every since I've been leery of leaving collars on when they're not needed. My dogs are not tied so the collars come off when it's not training/racing season and I don't need collars on.
Old Geezer Posted - 09/24/2013 : 02:20:10 AM
Years ago I had dogs type of collar that doesn't have the extension get the collar portion in their mouth gagging them. I've since changed to the circle style collar and the steel ring which is tight to the collar- not the extended type.
Biggest issues ever in our kennel over the years has been chain link fence. I've had dogs climb over and get the d-rings caught and in the case of one dog his foot. Never had a fatality but very lucky that he was found in time and unhooked. I've also made it really clear to authorities I don't- will not put dog tags or rabies tags on collars. They get caught up in chain link and had one get locked into a tether chain. I'm all done with them. Micro chip makes way more sense.
Peanutbutter Posted - 09/23/2013 : 3:09:33 PM
One of my dogs got her jaw stuck in the o-ring and panicked ones. I have my dogs indoors and take of her collar when not in use..
Lira Posted - 09/23/2013 : 10:42:24 AM
I have had it happen, but not with the O-ring. One dog got the underjaw under another dogs collar and twisted around to get loose..
JC Posted - 09/23/2013 : 07:49:52 AM
Haven't had this happen, but I have had puppies chew each others collars off. For this reason, we never put collars on pups penned together.
RSmith Posted - 09/23/2013 : 06:56:04 AM
I've also had it happen, not as bad as you describe but it has happened. I use smaller ring limited slip collar's.
Stormers Posted - 09/22/2013 : 4:47:53 PM
I had the same thing happen with msrtingale collars. It was by far one of the most scary things to happen with the dogs. My one female did loose consciousness and I thought she for sure was dead.
smushybanana Posted - 09/22/2013 : 11:26:32 AM
I have had this happen. I don't use the collars with a really big O-ring for that reason. I use the smaller O-rings collars on shy or hairy dogs that are hard to grab, and the rest get D-rings.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page