SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Equipment Suggestions & Reviews
 parka ruffs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
yukonsiberians Posted - 08/14/2013 : 4:04:11 PM
what do you prefer,
fur sewn onto the hood. or on the zipper?
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 09/28/2013 : 10:55:25 AM
Here's a little more info I got from the elders here in town regarding parka ruffs. If your working out in the bush and it's cold enough, wolverine frosts up and so does wolf - difference is, because of the nature of the fur, you can shake frost off the wolverine and wolf a lot easier than say coyote. If you forget to shake the frost off though, it will melt and you'll have a wet ruff just like a wet coyote ruff.

Other points to consider. Wolverine is considered a colder fur and wolf a warmer fur. Native people round here never make mitts out of wolverine, not just because of the price, but because wolf has more kiviut (undercoat) to keep you warm. Wolf also makes for a warmer ruff. Then again, if you let that wolf kiviut get wet, it's gonna be worse than if the wolverine gets a bit wet.

That's what I've learned in the last week. I bought a nice big wolf ruff from one of the elders and sewed it onto the zipper on my Cabelas Trans-Alaska anorak. Those jackets are nice, but they sure come with the most inconsistent coyote ruffs I've ever seen. We bought four jackets during their spring sale and all one had pretty pathetic ruffs. One had a nice big fluffy ruff, but the rest were maybe 1 inch and so sad looking I couldn't even use them for 'male wraps' for the dogs. Grandpa sewed a wolverine ruff on his right away.
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 08/20/2013 : 2:39:42 PM
Yup, like Eddy said, up here in the Mackenzie Delta, most of the Gwich'in and Inuvialuit elders and hunters use wolverine. Some have it fully wrapped around the inside of the hood, but most have the paws & claws still hanging down at the ends.

Here's a photo of how the ruff looks fully wrapped around the hood, on the inside, so its snug against your face and neck.

Here's a photo of of the wolverine still with his paws and claws:

BUT if you can't afford a fancy ruff, just use a nice coyote ruff. They're a lot cheaper. I've used coyote ruffs for years and they're warm. They hold frost, and can get wet when that frost melts (gets gross), but as long as the ruff isn't all the way around your hood and by your mouth (just on the sides and top), it won't collect much frost anyway.
Fast E Posted - 08/20/2013 : 12:13:01 PM
Wolverine is one of very few animals on earth that frost won't stick to the fur,i was informed this decades ago by one of Canada's best mushers from the far north Peter Norberg.
I have heard mention the same of Timber Wolf but not sure(?)--maybe thats why many use a combo of the 2.
I really enjoy seeing some of the very tradition far north ruffs used by some of the old timers.
I have a georgeous big full Wolverine ruff on my main winter cold coat,choosen at the time by one of Alaska's biggest fur buyers wife.She and i looked at 30 full wolverine hides when we agreed upon the one she would sew up for me.I will never forget her and that happening in Fairbanks.I just desided to NOT put a ruff on the new racing pull over i will use,most of the time now its too hot and don't need one and can always use another with one if cold dictates so.mush
Meg Posted - 08/19/2013 : 9:37:09 PM
I clean my ruff in fresh light snow--works beautifully and keeps the fur smelling nice. I like a combo of wolf and wolverine--the natives say that the wolverine holds back the wolf. The sewn in ruffs seem to shape better to my head/face than the velcro or zipper. Enjoy your new ruff. Love mine just wish I could hear a little bit better through all that fur!
Peter McClelland Posted - 08/18/2013 : 10:16:32 AM
I was talking about this in Churchill with some of the Inuit. They do a simple chain stitch and than cut it to take off the rough for washing. They than resew it on.
Old Geezer Posted - 08/18/2013 : 04:23:26 AM
I have a Cabella Trans-Alaska suit. It comes with a Velcro attached ruff. The suit can be machine washed. The rough can be sent to a land fill and replace with a Wolf or Wolverine Ruff. Point being if you sew on a Ruff - How to clean it later?
MSeavey Posted - 08/17/2013 : 5:33:47 PM
My ruff is zippered and works either folded in or outside of the hood. Ruff is longer than the hood so there are "tails" that velcro together 'neath the chin. I have matching zippers on my other parka so I can use the same ruff. I've always had wolf fur and it works good. I sometimes temporarily stitch the zipper pull in place to prevent involuntary unzipping.
Log Dog Posted - 08/17/2013 : 12:16:25 PM
1st choice - Wolverine
2nd choice - Wolf

Needs to wrap all the way around your face. Measure your hood from chin to chin and add a little so there is no gap at your chin.

Steve Bergemann Posted - 08/16/2013 : 5:17:38 PM
We have a fur buyer that also sells tanned pelts about an hour down the road so what type of fur do you like for a ruff and what size does it need to be?

Fast E Posted - 08/16/2013 : 2:00:29 PM
I have my ruffs on with velcrow,i do wash my jackets and racing pullovers.
CAM Posted - 08/15/2013 : 2:19:18 PM
I agree with Log Dog. At first I used a zipper, but ended up sewing the ruff to the parka, it just works better for me. I never wash my parka either, so no need to ever remove the ruff.
Log Dog Posted - 08/14/2013 : 9:41:53 PM
I sew mine on the hood. The reason is purely functional. I want my ruff to wrap around the edge of the hood so there is a genuine fur gasket around my face when the hood is up. The zippered hoods don't work for me. All the fur is laying on the outside of the hood doing very little to protect my face. I never wash my parkas so don't worry about that part.

soggydawg Posted - 08/14/2013 : 5:15:00 PM
Fur doesn/t wash well so a zipper/velcro combo has worked best for me

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page