SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 Sore dog keeps picking at

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DustinKendall Posted - 02/19/2013 : 11:13:20 AM
I've got a six year old who keeps biting a sore around his hip. The sore is about the size of a nickel, and is round. I don't know how he got the sore, but it's definitely bugging him. Is there anything I can put on it to help it heal faster? Or advice on encouraging him not to bite at it?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Camera-dog Posted - 02/23/2013 : 8:50:04 PM
neosporin should help it heal a bit faster
Whytepine Posted - 02/20/2013 : 09:51:14 AM
Make sure there isn't something lodged under the skin...maybe a sliver or something? Like mentioned before, clean it well, apply antibiotic ointment.

What I've found really worked well on lick granulomas is to apply Gold Bond Body Powder in the green bottle. Shake some on and rub it in a bit. It helps with healing and gives the skin a cool feeling. The dogs don't like the taste at first, but it needs to be reapplied a few times each day. To help with continued licking, I found that the old version of Solarcaine Spray in the blue label for sunburns helps more than even Bitter Apple. Both the Gold Bond powder and Solarcaine spray help with healing. Don't bother with the Solarcaine in the green label with the aloe because the dogs just lap that up.

Definitely use a cone on the head if they continue to lick the area.
DustinKendall Posted - 02/20/2013 : 09:26:02 AM
Thanks for the response. I will try your suggestion!
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 02/19/2013 : 11:20:09 AM
Try some polysporin to help clean it up, then put a cone of shame on him until it heals over. You can also try bitter apple spray and give him a bone redirect his chewing.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page