SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 elevated eosinophils

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RSmith Posted - 01/04/2013 : 07:28:57 AM
So what sort of parasites could cause higher level of Eosinophils? Or if not parasites, what would?
I have a dog with seizure disorder and can't help but think they are linked; but I de-worm with ivermectin and fenbendazole monthly. Or can the slightly elevated levels be caused by something else? His sister died of seizures with no drug working and now he is starting to develop more episodes even though he's on phenobarb.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
C. Savagian Posted - 01/27/2013 : 2:22:40 PM
ivermectin can cause seizures
sallydawson Posted - 01/12/2013 : 09:43:26 AM
Hi Roy, I'm with Hillary on this one: Go to a QUALIFIED source for proper information. "... Background in IT.... Business Admin...." isn't it! and a good reason to stay away from eHow.

Good luck - will be interested in knowing what you find out.
RSmith Posted - 01/12/2013 : 09:36:44 AM
Interesting,
HE is only very slightly elevated 2X in 2 Months.
I have not added anything other than Phenb since upping his dose just a tad. We'll see.

musher81 Posted - 01/12/2013 : 07:14:20 AM
Hey Roy,

What's her Eos count? Percent on the diff? I wouldn't spend any time worrying about a slighly elevated count. I spot check bloodwork on my dogs very frequently and I'll get spikes lasting for a few months. Sometimes it's just a mild allergic reaction, sometimes a bout of parasites that will get taken care of the next time you deworm.

What's the phenobarb dose? You can add Kbro as well, it worked well for my boy with seizures. I really wouldn't consider a link betwee seizures and eosinophilia, it's probably just a coincidence.

Kristin
smushybanana Posted - 01/05/2013 : 01:55:54 AM
Here is the Merck vet manual entry for eosinophilia. I wouldn't trust anything found on "ehow."
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/circulatory_system/leukocyte_disorders/leukogram_abnormalities.html#v3258843

Here is the entry for parasites causing CNS disturbance:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/nervous_system/cns_diseases_caused_by_helminths_and_arthropods/overview_of_cns_diseases_caused_by_helminths_and_arthropods.html
Once parasites have infiltrated the CNS, they are harder to kill with normal deworming because the dewormer won't cross the blood-brain barrier. Or, they could be already dead and just floating around in there causing problems.
Fast E Posted - 01/04/2013 : 6:26:17 PM
Its not an allergic responce but Calcium deficiency can and does also cause seizures(?).

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page