SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 black crud in ears

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nwalek Posted - 08/12/2012 : 9:21:06 PM
maybe a question for the vets here. dog has black crud in his ears. I am reading it could be ear mites, a bacterial infection, just dirt?

if i clean them out with a q-tip, how soon would it come back if it was something more serious then him just living outside on the dirt? what other symptoms would i be looking for? is it fine to just use a q-tip or should i be cleaning them with a vinegar solution?

TIA, NORM

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lee Posted - 08/14/2012 : 8:15:20 PM
We brought a new girl into our kennel this spring. She came with ear mites. After the ears were cleaned out at the vet, he told us straight 1% ivermectin into the ear
doggirl Posted - 08/14/2012 : 3:02:34 PM
If it is yeast you have to remove the black crud or it will just keep feeding new yeast and or bacteria. Q-tips are not good at getting the crud you can't see - flushing the ear with a good earwash is a better idea. Fill the ear canal with the cleaner and squoosh it around for a bit and then let dog shake it out.
RSmith Posted - 08/14/2012 : 06:49:58 AM
If its known mites, they are highly contagious. You should treat the entire kennel and FINISH the cycle of treatment. Whatever the bottle says. I got some over the counter stuff that did the trick. I think they have a 3 week life cycle so must repeat in 3 weeks.
Also, OTHER cleaning of the ears may be needed with a gentile wash.
Infection and yeast may or may not be an effect, and if so might have to use some antibiotics too.
nwalek Posted - 08/13/2012 : 12:32:58 PM
its nice to have access to a microscope :) Ear mites.

i guess the more important questions, what is the recommended treatment and are they known carriers of yeast and bacteria. thanks.
endurancekennels Posted - 08/13/2012 : 08:36:23 AM
I had a young dog that had thick waxy black stuff in the ear. It ended up being some type of yeast? I guess it's common. I flushed it out with a solution and cleaned it with a rag and q-tips. Stuff stopped coming back after a week.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page