SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health: General
 Crooked Toenail

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
powderhound66 Posted - 07/11/2012 : 6:14:04 PM
The outer toenail on the rear left of one of my dogs has suddenly started growing at an abnormal angle. Instead of growing down, it is now growing upwards and slightly out to the side. I noticed him limping slightly and when i checked him out I noticed a small amount of blood on the inner hairline, as well as the crooked nail. He was only sore for one day, and is no longer limping. His nails were not/are not long, but it is not out of the question that he may have snagged it on something (he often claws and plays with roots and sticks in his circle.) I am hesitant to clip it, but I do not want him to snag it again if it gets long. I am thinking it may have been ripped inside the toe, and will be taking him to the vet for an evaluation soon but I thought I would post here in the mean time to get some other opinions.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
powderhound66 Posted - 07/16/2012 : 4:53:27 PM
Hi Mike, as far as I know there has been no severe injury, but as I mentioned it is possible that he twisted it on a root in his circle. The bloody area has healed and it is no longer sensitive. I will see if it grows back crooked and if so I will trim it an see where that goes. Thanks for the input.
Koosa Posted - 07/16/2012 : 4:20:44 PM
One of mine has crooked nails on one rear foot. I believe it happened in some kind of puppy altercation at a pretty young age. Never bothers her. Maybe its an injury that recently occurred - thus the blood and limping. Unless it presents an ongoing problem, I would leave well enough alone. Maybe just keep it trimmed down, as normal friction won't keep it worn.

Actually now that I think about it, I had another with a very funny toe, which I know was injured at a very young age. I kept that one trimmed down and it never presented a problem. (Back foot again).

If the dog kept limping, or the toe doesn't heal up and stop bleeding, then I would get a vet to look at it. Maybe go over it yourself and see if it yelps or is in any pain when you poke at it good.

Mike S.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page