SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 Equine Glucosamine Suppliments

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Edenmtlodge Posted - 05/08/2012 : 10:27:35 AM
Hi--
I have a kennel of 33 dogs, about ten are getting up there in years and I would like to feed them Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements. The suppliments designed for dogs are quite expensive. Human versions are a little better, but still high when you're planning to give them to a whole kennel. Equine supplements are much more economical, however most have less chondroitin for the amount of glucosamine compared to dog and human suppliments. They're also much more concentrated.

Does anyone have any experience using equine supplements? Is the glucosamine/chondroitin ratio healthy for dogs? Can you safely extrapolate a dog's dosage from the horse weights listed on the packaging?

Any advice will be much appreciated! Thanks!
--Jim
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nwalek Posted - 05/13/2012 : 09:19:11 AM
I couldn't imagine a trailer of huskies with tubes running down their noses waiting to race ... but it is mentioned in the Merck Veterinary Manual under Prevention of Fatigue and included in a few dog foods and supplements. Just curious.

RSmith Posted - 05/11/2012 : 11:24:01 AM
Equine Red cell contains a bit too much Copper, selenium and others for DOGS. They DO make a Canine Red Cell which has different configurations; although SIMILAR it does have some other much higher levels detrimental to canines.
I wouldnt mess around with baking soda unless your racing the 1/4 mile.
smushybanana Posted - 05/10/2012 : 3:47:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by nwalek

[quote]

From experience do sprint sled dogs respond to sodium bicarbonate similiar to racing greyhounds and horses?

Thanks, NORM

I don't know if anyone has tried it, but from a physiological standpoint it's a bad idea. sodium bicarb loading will only potentially have positive effects in short-term anaerobic exercise, of which even 4-dog sprints are too long to fall into that category. Further, the side effects are GI upset. So, you would probably get a sled dog who didn't run any better that has diarrhea and vomiting and not eating.
nwalek Posted - 05/10/2012 : 2:27:02 PM
quote:
Typical ongoing example how the 'pet'(yes us with evan large kennels sometimes still fall under that category when paying the tab)get totally ripped off by the supp-'liers'of many things.The horse-cattle world persay is considered 'herd' mentality by vets-supplement builders etc and charged far less for the same amount of stuff needed for a dog or say cat.
I suggest anytime sled dog kennels can they purchase from the 'herd' mentality types,you will generally and most often pay far less.

Can Equine Red Cell be used a vitamin supplement?

quote:
Of course there will be some products that are totally not affective on dogs that the herd guys use--lil reserch easily finds out what.

From experience do sprint sled dogs respond to sodium bicarbonate similiar to racing greyhounds and horses?

Thanks, NORM
nwalek Posted - 05/10/2012 : 2:13:20 PM
do your doggies not respond to NSAIDs?
dr tim Posted - 05/09/2012 : 08:59:45 AM
These supplements work but watch out for the horse supplements with copper in them as the amounts needed are vastly different and you can make a dog pretty ill with high levels of copper. I have seen it occur with this application.
Edenmtlodge Posted - 05/08/2012 : 3:21:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience! I had heard that in order for Glucosamine to have its full benefit, you also had to give Chondroitin. Has anyone else heard that? One of the concerns I had with using horse suppliments was that they seem to have less chodroitin to glucosamine compared to dog suppliments like Cosaquin.

Thanks!
--Jim
hnewman Posted - 05/08/2012 : 2:10:35 PM
I use Fluid Action that is made for horses and as Eddie stated, I did the math to figure out dosage for my dogs. I can buy a lot cheaper since I can buy a larger volume than buyer a small bottle for one dog. I have used joint supplements for horses for my dogs for about 10 years now.
At present I have 25 sled dogs with 5 of these dogs 10+ years. But all get joint supplements (Fluid Action).

Helen
Fast E Posted - 05/08/2012 : 11:14:47 AM
Typical ongoing example how the 'pet'(yes us with evan large kennels sometimes still fall under that category when paying the tab)get totally ripped off by the supp-'liers'of many things.The horse-cattle world persay is considered 'herd' mentality by vets-supplement builders etc and charged far less for the same amount of stuff needed for a dog or say cat.
I suggest anytime sled dog kennels can they purchase from the 'herd' mentality types,you will generally and most often pay far less.

Just do the math once you figure the difference in concentrations and whats recommeded for what you want it for.

Of course there will be some products that are totally not affective on dogs that the herd guys use--lil reserch easily finds out what.
mbeers Posted - 05/08/2012 : 10:39:38 AM
Hi, we have not used horse version but have been using a product called Endure that has both G/Ch and also green lipped muscle + psyllium.

It is also not cheap but cheaper than the dog version of the pills.

We get it at Lion Country Supply in bulk and it's a costly purchase but lower cost per dose to buy the 5 gallon bucket.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page