SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Breed Discussion
 Hybrids/Crossbreds
 AH/malamute mix?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Indrek Posted - 01/07/2012 : 12:53:54 PM
Hi there!

My first post in here and I must say that it is a pleasure to be in here!

To keep it short:

I have a Alaskan and a Malamute.Now they managed to make some puppies and I would like to hear people experiences with that kind of 1/2 hybrids.Our Alaskan(40lbs) is from a prooven kennel and Malamute(80lbs furry guy) is from show lines.At least 4 generations for now.I know its a crap shoot but is there any point of keeping any of those pups? How to select these right ones( pretty fuzzy field :P)
Im no hardcore distance musher, so I like a bit bulkier dog that can go where i want it to go. And as i have read from here, malamutes tend to have those iron feet.
Any specific things that i should know : malamute inherited dog aggression on something like that?

Bests,

Indrek

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Indrek Posted - 10/13/2012 : 11:14:07 AM
Hi there!
I managed to get some more pics to my Flickr page.
Now in the age of 8months, they start to show their malamute side.The pups are small compared to the father but still bulkier than an racing AH.When checking my old pics of the dam, well, she is alot rangier and slimmer.Built like a hound(she comes more or less from Scandinavian distance racing lines).

Do these kind of mixes have some good traits compared to pure malamute or "pure" alaskans? I like the idea that they are not so inbreed or line breed...You can say what you want but in long run I dont belive in heavy inbreeding nor linebreeding. A little can help, yes, but genetical diversity is the key in my opinion.

Anyway, this winter will show how they like skijorking..i dont think the new owners will manage to put them in some teams to test working attitude.Otherwise they are doing ok exept one male(Roki) who got loose and was run over by a bus.Shame but life is like that.

link : http://www.flickr.com/photos/74918541@N03/
flytraps Posted - 09/13/2012 : 2:14:40 PM
The pictures are wonderful. Man They are very nice. Good looking dogs.
Indrek Posted - 09/02/2012 : 07:20:43 AM
Added some new pics to my Flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74918541@N03/
Indrek Posted - 09/01/2012 : 3:46:42 PM
Hi all!
Been quiet for some time now. These pups are almost 7mths old now and some of them are starting to do some bikejorking and running.
I have been lucky to see 3 of them in the past 3 weeks.They all are sized like a regular Ah(mother) and have load of energy. Also very nice coats. Weighting 45-55lbs.Quite light if you consider the massive size of the father. Those three(2f and 1m) are rather rangy and light moving.
Today i saw one female for the first time...did some harness fitting..and dang..she leaned straight into the harness.Very mother alike dog.That one would have been nice to keep :P
I will add some pics as soon as i get them into my computer and then link it here.

Still the purposse for this is the same...to get some information out there about ah/mal mixes.With pics and development.When I started this topic, i could not find much info about them.

Enjoy the cooler days! :)
flytraps Posted - 06/15/2012 : 4:24:42 PM
Might be a real good decision on the lead dog. Thanks for the definition. Give the others time to grow, see what develops.
jake Posted - 06/10/2012 : 09:11:18 AM
There is always next season. You know how these turned out so you can pick well next time.
Indrek Posted - 06/09/2012 : 10:22:04 AM
Well, there is not much joy for me because we didnt keep any of them but i am doing my best to guide the new owner to do dog sports or some skyjorking.:)
Probably some harness running training in autumn:)

jake Posted - 06/09/2012 : 10:12:00 AM

Very nice looking pups !!

Thanks for sharing.

Winter is coming, enjoy !
Indrek Posted - 06/09/2012 : 08:36:18 AM
So, got some pictures of to puppies. They are energy balls:D One(female Täpi) is with bigger bone and the male(Roki) is smaller.
Put some pictures and 2 videos to my Flickr page.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74918541@N03/

Enjoy
jake Posted - 06/05/2012 : 06:15:21 AM
Plenty of time to be looking at it, let them grow,

Tough Head to me is a mix of stubbornness, but also a strong character that lets then keep on after others have given up. An inner drive to lead others on through whatever. To me a Leader is a Tough Headed dog, above all other else, they lead when other dogs just want to follow.
Indrek Posted - 06/04/2012 : 2:13:06 PM
Hei!

Didnt get a lead dog because we discussed the situation a littlebit and it seemed its better to learn before getting anymore dogs.:) I have time. And I dont have anybody to lead anymore as the Ah suddently died.Probably ate some stones or something.:(

Indrek
Indrek Posted - 06/01/2012 : 2:05:13 PM
Hej

Atleast i was thinking about it as stubbornness.
Tomorrow goning to go to lapland to see some dogs:)
flytraps Posted - 05/31/2012 : 10:18:11 AM
What is tough head problem, never heard of it? Does it mean the dog is stubborn?
jake Posted - 05/13/2012 : 7:37:25 PM
Hi Indreck

Lots of dogs have tough head problems, often they are the best ones on the team, but if a dog works and does their job their head is their business. I have noticed that one subject I rarely if ever hear someone in the top money talking about is their dogs having tough head problems.
Indrek Posted - 05/13/2012 : 07:05:13 AM
Jake,

I should have sent a few to you :D Atleast then they would have had a nice active home. But still no one knows about their working ability.I have heard that some of them show some tough head attitude but then again who knows.
Time will show :)
Good luck to you with your crosses!

SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page