SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Skijoring - General

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RICHARD DIAZ Posted - 12/23/2010 : 08:25:57 AM
Im buying some backcountry gear because my touring settup isnt cutting it in the backcountry I was wanting to get some input about how many people wear helmets pros and cons.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
D0gsledboy01 Posted - 07/07/2015 : 9:25:37 PM
Ok thanks
Admin Posted - 07/07/2015 : 5:44:22 PM
Trees, rocks and other hard objects.
D0gsledboy01 Posted - 07/07/2015 : 5:33:54 PM
I always wear a helmet biking with or without dogs but on softer snow why wear a helmet skijoring.
Mike Callahan Posted - 04/19/2011 : 10:10:46 AM
I prefer a helmet designed for cycling instead of ski or snowboard helmets. For skijoring i prefer a helmet that is well ventilated. Lightweight is nice too. If my heart rate is between 130 and 160 which it often is when I go hard then I worry more about my head overheating. Ever wonder why those XC skiers can go with such a thin skullcap when they ski in below zero conditions? Gravity skiers don't get their heart rate up for sustained periods of time. You almost need a warm helmet more for sitting on the lift. If I just want to work the dogs and not ski too hard myself then an unvented helmet would not be too hot.
Honestly. I only use a helmet when skijoring at night to have a place to mount my light. I always use a helmet when I scooter or bikejor. A thin liner is all I need most of the time if it's cold.
hnewman Posted - 04/19/2011 : 07:46:25 AM
I will carry a fire extinguisher with me fundog:) I have been checking locally to get an idea how the sizes run and also with a hat on. I figure I will have a variety of sizes.

Pacedog123 Posted - 04/18/2011 : 8:46:03 PM
i wear a helmut on especially challenging trails, but not on fairly flat ones or ones i am super familiar with...i feel much safer with a helmut, though...and knee braces!
funhog Posted - 04/14/2011 : 4:12:29 PM
oh boy Helen I don't know what to say about clients. I think all the helmets I have have foam pieces that can be used to adjust fits. Those and the stocking caps would help engineer a better fit.

I just read Gracies reply. Just make sure the bubble suit is inflammable. You don't want a flame up when they drag you and start some kind of combustion.
bluesharpplayer Posted - 04/11/2011 : 6:25:09 PM
I have two "skateboarder" type helmets. One that fits without a hat underneath (summer and warm days), and one that fits with a hat underneath. Played with the removable/different sized foam inserts to make it fit well.
hnewman Posted - 04/08/2011 : 4:48:18 PM
Bob (fundog): I was looking at the Giro helmets online--reading about the different brands available actually.
I am looking to buy at least 4 helmets to have for guests to wear when I take them out on the sled. I would also have one for myself too. I do not skijor but I do bike and scooter with dogs and I wear a bike helmet then.

funhog Posted - 04/08/2011 : 3:44:07 PM
Helen I tend to purchase Giro helmets. I have one for my bike and one for skiing. They have fit my head and allow goggles better than anything else I tried. I never felt like I could just buy one without trying them on. Maybe because my head is ellipsoid shaped rather than shaped like a basketball.
Eric Rogers Posted - 04/08/2011 : 12:17:00 PM
Originally posted by Snow Country Kennels

+1 for the helmet. Ive also been thinking about adding a full bubble rap suit.

Jim Lanier wears hockey protection for the Dalzell Gorge

SKIJOR#1 Posted - 04/08/2011 : 05:34:16 AM
Just be sure not to go "Cheap" I like the snow boarding helmets as they are warm and light. When choosing..Remember what it is protecting.
hnewman Posted - 04/07/2011 : 2:37:13 PM
The ones that have bought a snowboarding helmet. Is there a brand you recommend or are they all about the same in quality?

tikkoskidog Posted - 02/16/2011 : 03:11:26 AM
Who, me, fall while skijoring? That'll be the day...

Sometimes I notice these random bruises, can't figure out where they came from until I remember, oh yeah, that's from the time there was that overflow I didn't notice until.. splat.
Gracie Posted - 02/16/2011 : 01:38:44 AM
Originally posted by skijoringamanda

Originally posted by Snow Country Kennels

+1 for the helmet. Ive also been thinking about adding a full bubble rap suit.

Haha, this made me giggle! I've never thought about wearing a helmet, but I think it's a great idea. Last spring we had a thaw/freeze and my dog obtained some sort of turbo boost on the trails; there was no control on the ice and I wiped out hard, twice! I've had a concussion from hitting ice while downhill skiing so maybe it's time for a helmet while skijoring!

I can related to the bubble suit! A helmet is a great start though.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page