SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Junior Mushing
 Junior Racing
 Jr. races in the Midwest

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lil_leatherman Posted - 02/20/2011 : 4:38:00 PM
I've raced sled dogs for almost my whole life, but I've never done a mid-distance event. Lately I've been looking for a Jr. race in the Midwest (Michigan/Wisconsin area) just thinking about seeing if I could try out Jr. race, I've been thinking maybe 50-100 miles. Does anyone know of a race like this in my area?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
lil_leatherman Posted - 02/24/2011 : 4:30:08 PM
Thanks everyone. For now I'm going to plan on running the Copper Dog 35 mile rec event next year and see what comes. Maybe the Race to the Sky in the future.

Linda-I'm already signed up for the Far From Nome event this weekend, thanks though. But I do want to come to a Sweetwater Challenge next year.
Dog Mushers Dad Posted - 02/22/2011 : 10:31:09 AM
Can't say enough good things about Rob, Cara and Jenny Greger. Great folks who are doing more then should be expected to help Junior mushers get a good start.

Rob was the one single musher who made sure Lacey was ready for the Jr Iditarod. He went way out of his way to help her out, and we owe him a debt of gratitude.

So if you read this Rob. Thanks again!

livengood Posted - 02/21/2011 : 10:13:30 AM
If you can get to it, I would TOTALLY recommend the Jr. Race to the Sky! It is a very very fun race and is extremely well run - all the race organizers, volunteers, 350mile mushers, etc. all went out of their way to be as helpful as possible to us jrs. I couldn't count how many people said "good luck" or "your team looks great" or other such comments. The trail wasn't very complicated and was easy to follow. I'd be running this race again next year, except I'll be too old!

However, DMD is right that many of the races in the lower 48 are not very junior friendly. When we were looking into some of the shorter middistance races, so I'd have some training races/race qualifiers for Jr. RTTS,a lot of them had rules such as "may not run unless you have already ran a race of this distance," "May not run without references from at least two veteran mushers," etc. Which if you are like me, living 300 miles + from any other dog musher, pretty much means you have to cross that race off your list. RttS though isn't too hard to get into if you know the right people.....the Greger family was very helpful in getting me approved.
Dog Mushers Dad Posted - 02/21/2011 : 09:05:12 AM
ABBY!

This is one of the great shames in the dog mushing sport world.
There are very few Distance/Mid distance events for up coming Junior mushers to participate in.

Most Adults do not think Juniors can do it. This has been a prejudice that we had to deal with here in Montana and in the western states.
In fact there were some really short races that would not let Lacey enter in just a month or so prior to her running the Jr Iditarod.

The only Jr Race that I know of in the lower 48 is the "Jr Race to the Sky" that just had it's second running last week here in Montana. It is a well run race and one that I hope grows and builds.
I haven't seen any Junior races in the east or mid west.
In Alaska the two big junior races are the Jr Iditarod and the Jr Yukon Quest. Both are great races and you should work hard to be able to run these races. They are very competitive.

Good luck. Maybe some race organizers will read this thread and think about adding a Junior event.

Linda Lange Posted - 02/20/2011 : 8:04:51 PM
Why don't you try out the Sweetwater Challenge next weekend? You can run 25 miles or more and work your way up. We welcome junior mushers at our events.

The trails were hard and fast this weekend but we are getting a good bunch of snow tonight and tomorrow - the trails should be awesome for the coming weekend. No warm temps or rain in the forecast this week!

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page