SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Junior Mushing
 Junior Racing
 Jr. Iditarod 2011

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Cac Posted - 06/29/2010 : 4:12:29 PM
Who all wants to do the Jr. Iditarod this year? Let me know what state your from and what year this would be for you. Even if you want to do the Jr. Iditarod but aren't able to let me know on this form. I want do run the Jr. Iditarod but my parents won't let me and I also don't have a team. There are teens out there want to mush but their parents won't let them or they live in the city and can't have a very big kennel.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Cac Posted - 02/28/2011 : 2:55:52 PM
Congrats to all 2011 Jr. Iditarod racers! You guys did great. Race results here.
Dog Mushers Dad Posted - 12/10/2010 : 08:17:14 AM
It looks like we will have some real competition in this years Jr Iditarod.

Meridith Mapes just signed up.

Anitra is running her fourth Jr Iditarod. she finished 11th, 5th and 2nd in the last three races. I think she is due this year.

The Rookie Annika from the NWT has a strong mushing family who work with their dogs for a living. I imagine she is well ready for the race too.

Joanna, looks to have a little of that "eye of the tiger" look. I think she is taking this very seriously. She runs trap lines with her dogs, it will be interesting to see how she handles the working team in a race.

Emily is back again. This is her second run at the Jr Iditarod. She knows the trail and knows what to do.

Then there is Seiji. This will be his first race and what a way to start. Seiji, comes from a mushing family and his brother has run the Jr Iditarod before.

Lacey is signing up and mailing her entry today. I won't comment on Lacey as I have to live with her.

It looks to be shaping up to be quite a race. A lot of very talented kids. I can't wait to meet them all. Our family is really looking forward to coming up to Alaska to race again.

Dog Mushers Dad Posted - 12/09/2010 : 8:58:06 PM
Congratulations to Jenny Greger for signing up for the 2011 Jr Iditarod.

Lacey is mailing her entry tomorrow December 10th.

That will give Montana two JR's entered. Where are the rest of them from the lower 48?

Come on Michigan, Minnesota, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon, etc, etc.

Where's the beef?

pcurtice Posted - 06/30/2010 : 9:07:29 PM
A handler is an individual, experienced or not, young or older that helps a kennel out by doing chores, training and racing the dogs. Your responsibilities are whatever you and the kennel owner agree upon. Sometimes you are paid a wage, sometimes you receive only room and board, sometimes both. Most of the time you will live near or close to the musher's kennel. It is a great opportunity, if you get into the right kennel, to learn about mushing. Could be challenging if it is not a good match. Some handlers get to run a second team, usually a younger team, sometimes a older veteran team at the races and some do get to run the main string also. There are clasified ads right here on Sled Dog Central for a handful of mushers looking for handlers. Be prepared to have long work days once the training gets started. The length of the work day may depend on the size of the kennel and/or what type of racing they are doing or both.
Cac Posted - 06/30/2010 : 6:05:21 PM
What do you mean you got yourself a handler, pcurtice?
pcurtice Posted - 06/30/2010 : 5:20:55 PM
There you go. Got a handler!
Cac Posted - 06/30/2010 : 11:57:23 AM
I live in WI, but if there is a way I can stay with you, that would be great. I really want to run the Jr. Iditarod.
rhum Posted - 06/29/2010 : 11:12:36 PM
Carleen where do you live? I live in Talkeetna, so if your in Alaska I might be able to help you with the "team" part.

dog musher Posted - 06/29/2010 : 10:59:26 PM
Carlleen, I'm trying to run it again this year. This will be my 2nd and final one.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page