SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 CKC and other Registries.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
LuvMyHusky Posted - 01/08/2008 : 11:37:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows, or has an opinion on the various pet registries that seem to be all over the internet? I realize that the AKC is a "Breed" registry, but is it worth having a dog registered with one of these other "Pet" registries? I am looking at it for keeping a record for our dogs. Also, any opinions on micro-chipping?
Thanks!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gail Posted - 01/12/2008 : 7:43:13 PM
Thanks Allen and Tracey. Very sorry to hear about Jaz. Noah doesn't do much if any sledding now, the other dogs are so much speedier than him. We just got him doing a bit for fun, after getting the great dane we had to pull our daughter around. In hindsite, I wish we had taken the dane to a kid & mutt class, now wouldn't that have been a sight! He wouldn't have won but he sure would have stood out. Noah's very funny, he'll wear a harness and run beside me but he has no clue as to direction, and if he's in a team he's just as apt to suddenly lie down to chew ice balls off his feet. I did used to get him to pull sacks of grain out to the chicken coop on a plastic sled though.

ETA: my neighbour has collies and she's had them in harness a few times. Not often enough for them to really know what it's all about though. A few times last winter her granddaughter brought them over to try on my trail.
Sledkids Posted - 01/12/2008 : 1:39:38 PM
Gail, I also like your website. I had to dry my eyes when I saw Noah. We just lost our sable/white Rough Collie, "Jaz", to cancer two months ago. He also was born in 2001 and had a harness. Your discription of Noah, the cheerleader, was bang on!! "Jaz" always did his best pulling if I was his pulling partner. We pulled the kids all over the place. Sigh.....

Sorry everyone.... off topic
huskyhike Posted - 01/12/2008 : 12:10:50 PM
A not-so-reputable breeder(?) bragged about the Word Kennel Club & the ConClub a few years ago. She said that it was an easy-peasy way to get papers for puppies/dogs. Needless to say, we didn't go that route and choose to stick with the CKC & AKC.
DCSleddogs Posted - 01/12/2008 : 11:35:01 AM
Gail,
Nice Website... rescue dogs have always been dear and still to our kennel. If it wasn't for the rescue dogs we would not be involved in sled dog/ border collie events. Our first sled dog race team was called the "Pound Puppy's"!
Your dog named Noah brings back old memories of a rough coat male I had in North Dakota on the Dairy Farm! I never thought of getting him to pull!

Good luck
Allan
onehappyautumn Posted - 01/12/2008 : 12:16:33 AM
My first vet ever (whom I loved dearly and only left because her collective office was outrageously expensive) refused to microchip. Reason being that there was no universal chip reader. Granted that was 3 years ago, but I hadn't thought of doing it since.

I'm actually kind of a naturalist I guess - I do my best not to be poking things into my dogs that they don't really need. And yes I'm one of those people who refuses to over vaccinate. More of a titer person. My vet tells me he has a 3 year parvo shot which I will try when it's time.
Gail Posted - 01/11/2008 : 9:24:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DCSleddogs

Gail,
How far did you look into the ... ?

I googled it and read several pages, but that was months ago. I tried to find the specific information I was referring to again, but was unable to do so. Perhaps they've updated their site and are becoming more stringent in their registrations? Since I can not find any current information to back up what I previously stated, I've edited my previous post to remove the name.

quote:
In our kennel, the number one thing thing is preserving the natrual chareteristics of a working dog, whether Seppala or Border Collie. With the working ability lost what is there left to preserve.

I agree.

shore Posted - 01/11/2008 : 4:21:34 PM
We usually refer to the Continental Kennel Club as the ConKC. It helps distinguish it from the Canadian Kennel Club and somehow seems to capture some of the flavor of its operations.

Anyway, in theory the registries just basically provide a means of officially declaring a dog exists and what its pedigree is. A consideration might be that to participate in some registry-sponsored activities the dog has to be in a particular registry. There's reciprocity among the various "official" national registries and, I think, between the UKC and the AKC, but not between things like the ConKC and the national registries. So, register with the pet registries if it will help you towards some specific goal, but don't let your national registry registrations drop.
DCSleddogs Posted - 01/11/2008 : 12:26:06 PM
Gail,
How far did you look into the Cont. Kennel Club? (http://www.continentalkennelclub.com/?301fromckcusa)

One I looked into, the Continental Kennel Club (something I'd never heard of, but some pups I was investigating were registered there so I looked it up), required no proof of anything. No papers on the parents, no photos, nothing. Pay your fee (a very minimal fee at that), and get your puppies papered.

Puppy Registration Applications
Continental Kennel Club (CKC) is the only kennel club that offers free pre-printed puppy papers to its club members. When you take into account the high cost of litter Registration fees with other clubs, no other kennel club can claim lower overall Registration fees for the dog owner than Continental Kennel Club. CKC breeders need only register their breeding stock, and puppy papers are distributed to them for each litter free of charge. To receive puppy papers, the CKC breeder must complete a CKC Puppy Application Form. CKC breeders may order these forms by calling our toll-free number (1-800-952-3376) and requesting them from an operator.

Canine Registration Applications
Canine Registration Applications are used to apply for Registration in the following circumstances:

1.Dogs which are currently registered with another recognized kennel club may be registered by completing the CKC Canine Registration Application, making a copy of the other kennel club’s Registration papers, and sending them to Continental Kennel Club’s Registration office with the proper Registration fee, or

2.Dogs over 6 months of age which have no previous Registration history may be registered by providing 2 witness signatures attesting to the purebred status of the dog along with 3 photos (front,left and right) of the dog to confirm it is ‘of proper breed type’ as defined by our current CKC Registration Rules and Regulations.Canine Registration Applications are available in PDF format from our web site. (click here to download it now)

Interesting that the Continental Kennel Club has the same initials (CKC) as the Canadian Kennel Club isn't it?

Cont. Kennel Club and Can. Kennel Club had a legal hearing and all was resolved with the INTIALS. No worries, just make sure you know the registry the dog is registered with!

The Continental Kennel Club promotes working dogs and jr. events all over the U.S. The sponsor sleddog race's and pure breed teams whether siberians, seppalas, samoyeds, malmutes etc. They have been really nice to deal with. We also have herding dogs, which we register with the ABCA. We try to do the right thing by the dogs. In our kennel, the number one thing thing is preserving the natrual chareteristics of a working dog, whether Seppala or Border Collie. With the working ability lost what is there left to preserve.

Allan
www.deercreeksleddogs.com
Gail Posted - 01/11/2008 : 10:49:20 AM
Some of the "pet" registries are viewed as nothing more than puppy mill registries, designed so that anyone can say their pups are "registered" to help them sell. One I looked into required no proof of anything. No papers on the parents, no photos, nothing. Pay your fee (a very minimal fee at that), and get your puppies papered. I think if you just want to keep track of your own dogs you're probably better off microchipping than to go with papers like that. The Canadian Kennel Club and the American Kennel Club are respected registries, but other than that, I don't know, unless you're dealing with specific breeds (like border collies & herding breeds) that register in other ways, such as International Stock Dog, or the CBCA or ABCA. They all have very specific requirements for registration intended to preserve the breed. Myself, I'd avoid the other "pet" registries.
sallydawson Posted - 01/09/2008 : 11:49:12 AM
I strongly recommend micro-chipping! I think it even may be required in some race venues.

SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page