SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Border Crossings with dogs & meat - Can/US

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jaye Posted - 01/02/2008 : 08:24:23 AM
I'm sure this has been discussed before in the past but the rules probably change from year to year too.

I need to cross into canada and then back into the US this month with 12 dogs in the dogtruck, en route to a race. I will have dogfood and dog meat & fish with me.

I've never done this before with a dogtruck full of dogs so have some questions...

What sorts of meat/fish can I bring across the border with me without hassles? If I have an open bag of dogfood is there going to be a problem? Do I need health certificates for the dogs or just proof of vaccinations?

Most importantly what can I do to make the border crossing easy for us and avoid any problems?

12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Black Hole Posted - 01/06/2008 : 11:40:58 PM
I have also been stopped by the US border people before entering Canada. This was Highway 93 in Montana. I was not inspected, but they did want to ask me some questions before allowing me to proceed to the Canadian customs. They were standing out on the road, not in a building. This only happened once.
mbeers Posted - 01/06/2008 : 4:07:44 PM
Absolutely sure it was US. Said so on the building and badges.

This was crossing of hwy 97 outside Oroville, WA.
shore Posted - 01/06/2008 : 12:48:51 PM
Originally posted by mbeers
If you mean my post, it was definitely US border people. We then had to pass thru the Canada border people a few hundred yards up the road.

Really? Where was this? I've probably driven across the border into Canada a few hundred times and never encountered it, although they've almost all been the various crossings between NY state and Ontario and I've never driven across out west. I've never heard of being inspected to get out. I've also traveled enough internationally that I've had US immigration grill me on what I do for a living when I was driving back from Canada and made the mistake of showing my passport when I didn't have to, and again, I've never had to talk to US officials before leaving the US. Are you sure it wasn't Canadian customs in one place and Canadian immigration in the other (similar to airports)?
mbeers Posted - 01/06/2008 : 10:45:52 AM
Originally posted by shore

The people you deal with on your way out of the US and into Canada are Canadian customs & immigration, and they tend to be a lot more diligent than US customs & immigration.

If you mean my post, it was definitely US border people. We then had to pass thru the Canada border people a few hundred yards up the road.
shore Posted - 01/06/2008 : 09:06:44 AM
The people you deal with on your way out of the US and into Canada are Canadian customs & immigration, and they tend to be a lot more diligent than US customs & immigration.

I think the statute of limitations has expired so I can feel safe in ratting out my parents: I grew up in the US but most of the family is in Canada, so we used to drive back and forth a lot (still do, come to think of it). Import restrictions were a lot tighter then and my parents used to smuggle electronics and small appliances into Canada and beer out of Canada. They'd have my younger sisters and me sit on top of the boxes (which were under blankets) and tell us to look cute. It's not just drugs, guns, and bombs that they're looking for at the border.

One thing I've found in the past few years is that if you give them or tell them more than they ask for it can lead to more questions and slow you down.
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 01/06/2008 : 09:01:02 AM
One thing we need to keep in mind - the crossing guards are required to stop and thoroughly search random vehicles. It's my understanding both the U.S. and Canadian customs guards have a computerized flagging system. I assume it's in place so that don't get complacent. The last time we went into Canada several vehicles were waved through so wouldn't you know we got flagged. That was the Canadian side. They even apologized but said by luck of the draw it was our bad luck and they had to search the entire vehicle. They just about took the seats out. On the return to the U.S. however the U.S. guard asked us if we had a nice visit told us to have a great day and waved us through. That all happened before 911 so You never know.
mbeers Posted - 01/06/2008 : 08:33:41 AM
I too am heading to Canada this month and went online to check out what they said about regulations.

In the Canadian Food Agency inspection database they say that any dog food with Bovine ingredients would be refused entry into Canada.

Now I'm going to take my dog meat and hope no one looks closely but it specifically says no.

I am also going to call ahead to ask as well.

Last time we crossed, we were pulled in for an inspection. They made us unload all the dogs into filthy kennels (was NOT happy about that) while they searched the truck and our stuff for about an hour.

Believe me my husband and I do not look like terrorist or drug dealer types

They searched thru the entire contents of my wallet, the coat I was wearing and 'patted us down.'

Ironically this was the US border guards when we were on our way OUT of the US. The Canada guards just asked if we were carrying liquor.

But even with that full search, they let us in with our dog meat and dog food.
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 01/06/2008 : 08:10:39 AM
O.K. SO I'm headed for Alaska. I'd like to bring my flare gun and a high powered rifle NOT for use in Canada but to have it in Alaska. Should I ship this stuff ahead of time?
What about auxillary gas cans, spare battery, tool box. Anything else I need to know. TIA. Email me privately if you want.
Laura Posted - 01/05/2008 : 8:43:21 PM

Some things to be ready for... they may ask why you are crossing into Canada to travel back to the States. Have your answer ready so you're not tripping over yourself if they ask. (Miles saved by travelling this route, better roads, less hours, whatever your reason is, be ready.)

Sunglasses off, passport or ID ready, hands on steering wheel. A guard will probably walk around your truck & peer in. Your dogs will bark. Don't worry. Act as if you do this all the time. They may open storage boxes (if you have them) but they will NEVER open a dogbox with a dog in it so ignore the barking. Don't get out of your truck, don't hollar at your dogs to be quiet.

Have your rabies papers on the dash & ready to hand over. They will usually ask "do your dogs have papers?", or "do you have the paperwork for your dogs?". All they mean is rabies papers, but it can sound different coming from them. (Health certificates for pups too young for rabies) "Are your dogs American?" is another one that may come up. The answer is yes (they don't need or want to know about Fido who originally came from Europe, or Canada).

Dogfood is hardly ever asked about anymore...the dogtruck is a bigger concern to them. They make some border guards nervous.

They may tell you to pull over & send you in for a check. Take your rabies papers in with you & your ID. Trust me...they don't want to go anywhere near your dogs. 2 guards may/will come out & take a walk-around then they'll send you on your way.

Don't carry anything illegal.

I know this wasn't what you were asking, but you said you had never done this before ~ just a "heads-up"! Smile, be polite & you'll sail through.

One more "heads-up". Remember the sleds on the top of your truck. Some of the border crossings are too low to get a truck w/ sleds through, especially if you have a double-decker dogbox, with sleds on top of that. You may have to pull over to the outside lane. Watch your clearance!

Good luck at your race.

jess_z0 Posted - 01/04/2008 : 09:17:46 AM
I agree call the border crossing where you are planning to cross. So i am in Canada, planning a trip into the states.

I called yesterday to the crossing just south of me into north dakota. They are allowing commercial dog food made in canada across as long as it has no lamb/sheep ingredients.

They are not allowing raw chicken across or lamb/sheep. Fish is ok.
shore Posted - 01/03/2008 : 09:27:04 AM
What they look for and allow varies by border crossing, which is part of why it's so confusing. I'd probably call the crossing I'm planning on using and ask about anything that I'm unsure about.
jeremie Posted - 01/02/2008 : 5:04:31 PM
Hey Jaye the border is a piece of cake Just be organized all you need is proof of rabies and as for the meat you might want to call ahead we just went to Alsaska and brought chicken and beef and dog food there was no problem. Have fun Jeremie

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page