SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 playing music for dogs

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Half_Alive Posted - 01/04/2008 : 5:28:21 PM
I have seen and read about it here and there but haven't heard anything solid on it and was wondering how common this is and what seems to be the dogs favorite music
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
snowfool Posted - 01/10/2008 : 7:24:41 PM
course im scottish and they probably Q on my enjoyment
snowfool Posted - 01/10/2008 : 7:21:41 PM
my sunday afternoon in the yard or pen , ive always played national public radio for the dogs they love the celtic, and old country and especially love garisson keeler on the prarie home companion. but when homespun starts{thats folk music]} they get restless and by 10 minutes in they are honking off the neighbors; guess that means they are at least smarter than dairy cows . ive found that the celtic music sung in gaelic helps to calm them the most of the different types they hear.
Half_Alive Posted - 01/08/2008 : 11:23:33 PM
i swear i am starting to beleive the dogs love music based on running or working i am starting to wonder if they can really tell the difference i started making up songs about going for a run or working hard and my dog seems to get more excited than she does over her normal music.
Lachlan Posted - 01/08/2008 : 10:21:53 PM
Our dogs seem to really like that 80's song by A Flock of Seagulls that says, "...and I ran, I ran so far away..."
P, Ann Nelson Posted - 01/08/2008 : 9:54:04 PM
When I am working in the kennels and dog yard, we listen to opera or Matchbox 20, Rod Stewart, Bob Seger, Joe Cocker, or Tone Loc (Wild Thing, and Funky Cold Medina) The dogs haven't told me which they prefer, but when I have Phantom of the Opera going, they will sing along with some of the songs. My son said they don't like all that "screaming". (Some people do not appreciate the "arts"!)
MegC Posted - 01/08/2008 : 2:21:26 PM
Originally posted by Brenda

I think all dogs HATE the Chipmunks.

Can you imagine being locked in a kennel or tethered all day listening to the Chipmunks? *shudder*
Brenda Posted - 01/08/2008 : 12:36:18 PM
I think all dogs HATE the Chipmunks.
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 01/05/2008 : 09:20:59 AM
Heli - our puppies are named Moccasin, Muk-luk, Blondie and Trixie. We contemplated naming the Bama, Huckles, Hillary, and Condi. NOT They do like the Iditarod Trail Song.
swanny Posted - 01/05/2008 : 09:06:31 AM
Meg, was that dog REALLY holding a ball while singing? That's one multi-talented hound.

EllieRose Posted - 01/05/2008 : 08:44:43 AM
We always make up songs for our dogs. THey will kind of sing along when I'm singing to the radio or what have you but when we sing songs that we made up they really get excited.
There's one that we sing to the tune of Day-O (please excuse the spelling) we replaced Day-O with Beo ( Beowulf) a dog no longer with us. It goes:
Beo, Beo snowflakes come and I wanna go run
Beo Beo snowflakes come and I wanna go run.
One flake, two flake, three flake more
snowflakes come and I wanna go run.

There are more verses and they go nuts for it. I would assume that it has to do with our excitement when singing and the pitch of the song. While it was originally sang to Beowulf when he was a pup it stuck around and 5 of my dogs are direct descendents of him so it's only appropriate that we sing his song to them. If I sing it on the trail they speed up! It's all in fun and gives the neighbors that Disney feeling about the dogs.
MegC Posted - 01/04/2008 : 10:41:13 PM
I've done some field-testing of music on hounds, complete with video documentation.
helidog Posted - 01/04/2008 : 9:45:00 PM
Cliff, have you asked your dogs who should be the next president? This sounds like an interesting study, can dogs sort through political BS better than humans? My bet is on the dogs.

Half_Alive Posted - 01/04/2008 : 7:36:26 PM
it seems like an interesting concept though i only have my one sibe that I bikejor with I was just curious cause after hearing about it because she likes soft rock mostly and tends to start howling with me when i start singing

I'll have to look into that iditarod music since i noticed when i started singing my custom verious of songs about moving she seems to get excited and sing with me I wonder if they can actualy tell if the songs have something in common with them like the iditarod songs that relate to the race idea and if they really make that generalaztion but who knows what goes on there heads heh though i am sure some of us would like to know
Dougskijors Posted - 01/04/2008 : 7:15:24 PM
My son and daughter sing cheerfully while skijoring. Not sure it helps, but it is entertaining to hear them warbling 'Oh Canada', 'Jingle Bells', 'Barrett's Privateers' or 'Rebel Yell' as they tear through the woods.
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 01/04/2008 : 6:27:37 PM
I don't know what effects music have. We have a radio/cd player in our dog yard. Sometimes I play a Hobo Jim CD and the my dogs get up and boogie when they hear the Iditarod Trail Song.
They also get off on that Iditarock music. The one that goes "Idididid the idtarock blues"
Then there's that Yukon Quest song- Something about "Get up dogs-You ain't tired - you were born to run this race - you can set this trail on fire ..... Oh ya they loove that one.

Farmers have been playing music in their barns for years. It supposively relaxes livestock.
I listen to a lot of NPR when I'm in the dog yard which for the most part is talk radio. I leave the radio on most of the time. It seems to sooth the dogs. Maybe they feel secure hearing the human voices. OR
Maybe they just like the political debates. Actually I believe there favorite show is "Calling all Pets".

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page