SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Good sled dog movie recommendations?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
eaglesleddogs Posted - 01/03/2008 : 8:36:20 PM
Just signed up for netflix and we're in for a cold spell so I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good kid-friendly sled dog movies? The Disney snow dog thing is a bit old and tired. Anyone know of some good movies based in Alaska? REAL movies about real people and dogs that might be available on Netflix? -thanks
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lachlan Posted - 01/11/2008 : 11:33:37 AM
We rented them from Netflix, the online movie rental service. (You have to be a member, if you're not familiar with Netflix.) They only had the second season, I think, and it was four DVDs with five episodes on each. Good stuff. We watched all four discs on four consecutive Saturday nights, just waiting for the snow and cold weather! The dogs loved watching, too.

Lachlan
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 01/10/2008 : 1:42:58 PM
Where can I get Sgt Preston DVD's. I have looked but with no success. Wisconsin Public Radio occasionally airs the old radio shows out of Superior. I believe on Friday nights. Your right. Old King can just about do it all and at age fifty eight I enjoy the shows just as much as I did when I was eight.
Have a great day!!
On King - On you huskies
jwin Posted - 01/10/2008 : 1:22:40 PM
Two other movies that I can think of include...

Call of the Wild
and
White Fang

Both above mentioned movies are also classic books. They are great to read, and I imagine that they have inspired many to make the trip north to discover Alaska and the Yukon.

For the kids please include.
Balto (Cartoon)
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 01/08/2008 : 08:23:08 AM
The Last Trapper is not available yet in the U.S. I've tried several times and even called the Canadian Film Board in Montreal. The reason is there is duty that must be paid and they need to know the sales will exceed the high Duty price.
About the only way you can get it here is to know a Canadian trustworty enough to take your hundred dollars, buy the DVD and ship it back to you.
Never Cry Wolf is a nice movie although not factual. It's entertaining as is Iron Will, Snow Dogs and Eight below. Disney adds a little fact in every movie. Some less than others.
IMO The sled dogs sniffing the canoe is the best part but Farley Mowat is a great story teller, not a field biologist.
Other highlights are when the Bush Plane stalls and Brian Dennehy grabs the wrench and wails on the gas lines. My favorite line is "boredom Mowat- boredom".
Research was in fact done and disproved wolves could live entirely off lemmings for a portion of the year which is the premise of the story. It's just not so. Wolves really do eat caribou- it's a fact of life. But the photograpy is great and the story line is fun.
Farley Mowat is an interesting fellow though and if you read enough of his material you'll know he was a Canadian Activist.
eaglesleddogs Posted - 01/08/2008 : 03:49:25 AM
Has anyone here seen Never Cry Wolf? That looks like a good one.
GA Musher Posted - 01/07/2008 : 8:12:22 PM
Yeah, Chilly Dogs is ridiculous but I still get a kick out of watching it and laughing. Parts of it are hilarious!
cricket Posted - 01/06/2008 : 8:14:55 PM
the last trapper is a great show
based on the life of norman vaughn in whitehorse

check it out
North Point Kennels Posted - 01/06/2008 : 4:18:57 PM
Most people would't agree with me but the movie "Chilly Dogs" is great. Nothing but funny. Forget real, I get that at home. It is so far out there that only Hollywood could be driving the sled.
Lachlan Posted - 01/03/2008 : 9:57:30 PM
There's a whole long list in the Books/Video section. You must find DVDs of Sergeant Preston, though, because his wonderdog, Yukon King, has to be the smartest Malamute to ever pull a sled. Toby McTeague, Kayla: a Cry in the Wilderness, etc, etc, etc... They're all on the list in the Books/Video forum.

Lachlan
lucas Posted - 01/03/2008 : 9:04:23 PM
Did you see Iron Will? You can get documentarys of Ididarod at there store on line.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page