SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Fairbanks Symposium

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shawn Posted - 10/20/2007 : 07:40:03 AM
Well I flew in from upstate New York late last night.First time I have ever flown into Alaska with the ability to see out the planes windows.It was 70 when I left home at 2 AM East coast time.When we came into Fairbanks it was 25 and SEVEN inches of snow. I could feel the smile on my face growing wider as we taxied down the runway.It is amazing first time ever into Fairbanks.Got in too late to go to the show last night but up at 3 am today with excitement to begin the day. Dogs howling in the trucks makes you feel right at home.Amazing when you think that I am struggling for even 45 degree weather and they already have the temps and the snow. Will I ever head home?Sure my dogs are there.Does this make one wonder if the move is inevitable?SURE does. But for the next few days I will soak up the wonderful snow.The great people the show and of course ALWAYS shopping for that great addition to the team,and no better place to look. Sorry I just had to share.Can you tell I am excited?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
swingdog Posted - 10/28/2007 : 6:53:52 PM
A clarification: Sled Dog Studio does the recording of the symposium. Audio only, and only from sessions that were held in the theater. You can look at the symposium program schedule to see which sessions were in the theater. Go to or e-mail for information about ordering recordings (including previous years'). I don't see details for this year's recordings, but I'm sure they're working on getting the info up as soon as they can.
Hope that helps!
(2007 ADMA symposium committee member)
Rogue Posted - 10/28/2007 : 1:16:10 PM
You can order the audio, and if I'm not mistaken, some video of symposiums every year. Go to and search on there. They record all of the seminars.

Good idea on the blog. I was there all weekend and could've done that...though I must admit that I didn't have much time to blog at all. BTW, I posted a pic of my Fox hat on my own blog, if anyone wants to see it.
Shawn Posted - 10/28/2007 : 07:47:06 AM
They do Video tape the seminars which are available for sale. Now the blog part. I wouldnt mind being flown up each year to keep you all informed. HA.... Really though the Blog is a good idea. I assume Mushing will do a story on the show as I saw Gregg taking many pictures and talking to a lot of people.
Cliff Maxfield Posted - 10/28/2007 : 07:23:17 AM
d-man is soo right. I recently aquired some video of the 1989 Fairbanks symposium for an old friend and they are still mostly up to date and invaluable in many ways.
A lot of us can't just board a plane and fly to Fairbanks but if there was some way to attend it live via home computer I'd defnitely sign up.
d-man Posted - 10/28/2007 : 04:00:04 AM
It would be great to see pictures and reviews of the show on a blog or something. On a rock climbing site I fequent they do an active review of the major climbing trade shows promoting all the great new equipment. They go booth to booth doing interviews, photos etc.

Hope your all having fun,
Shawn Posted - 10/25/2007 : 10:17:47 AM
No they dont have a website or a catalog. Seeing the items first hand is really nice. But everything they had was quality. If you want the contact info email me. I hate to use this site as an ad.
Woofy Posted - 10/25/2007 : 09:47:27 AM
I guess I'll just have to get up there to see the great hats.
Rogue Posted - 10/23/2007 : 11:42:07 PM
Shawn, maybe I did meet you. I have longish brown/red hair...and I love to wear polar fleece vests (hey, works great around here!). I remember speaking with a gentleman from back East. Perhaps that was you. I'm glad you had such a great time. Of course, you either Love Alaska, or you don't. I truly feel at home here and feel blessed to be in such a fantastic community.

Ami, good on ya! This year was definitely a great symposium. I think having the auction there on the main floor was a good idea, as it really let folks "shop" all day and plan on what they wanted to bid on. It was great to get to talk to all of the different vendors, most of whom I know, have raced with, etc. I had fun testing out new sleds...trying to figure out what I want for next year.

You gotta LOVE those red fox hats! So beautiful. I wear mine every morning to go start the car...though I don't need it yet for school. Husky, me too! I really, REALLY wanted the Silver Fox hat, as it was really luxurious and would match my Silver Fox ruff on my parky...but it, too was much too big for my head. Still, I'm very happy with the red fox. Miki and Julie don't have email or a website. They live out in the Bush and come into town for supplies or to sell their goods. However, they do take orders. If you need their number, email me.
Ami Posted - 10/23/2007 : 9:14:11 PM
To Shawn and everyone, thank you for your kind words about the ADMA Symposium. I am the chair person for the event and can tell you that your enthusiasm means the world to me. It also reminds me how lucky I am to be living amongst people who are at the top of their field - be it racing, veterinary work, nutrition, subsistance living or trekking.

There is a core group of volunteers that really care about putting on a good event. We are always open to suggestions of how to make future symposiums even better. Please feel free to e-mail me your ideas or post them here.

Ami Gjestson
ADMA 2007 Symposium Coordinator
ADMA Board Member

odaroloc Posted - 10/23/2007 : 1:39:24 PM
Geeze, Shawn - I had no problem with my flights out of Fairbanks! And I saw the moose. I feel lucky now.

Seriously, for those who have not been to the ADMA Symposium, you should really put it on your list of things to consider for next year. Coming from Colorado, I was blown away with the amount of information and level of quality of the seminars. But still didn't feel too 'classroomy' if you know what I mean. Great, down-to-earth folks more than willing to talk dogs with an Outsider from the lower 48. It was too bad they put the PRIDE lunch in a different building, but other than that, no complaints at all.

Shawn Posted - 10/23/2007 : 12:22:55 PM
Ok, it is Tuesday afternoon. I have been up since 3 am AK time monday so if I ramble please excuse me. I went to the Alaskan Native Federation symposium for a while on Monday before heading to the plane. Amazing. It was great it was there while I was.So really nice items and great culture.
Head to the airport it is 3 degrees or so still nice snow on the ground.I make my way thru the safety check points. I decide to take my new hat and some other items along with me and my laptop and check the rest. We are told to board the plane.It had just landed coming in from Anchorage. We all load in and get settled. They tell us after an hour that the Altimeter is broke will be a couple hours.So we sit. WAITING!! Then you can see them taking all the cargo off our plane they just loaded so you know we arent going anywhere.I ask the stewardess if I can catch another flight she says sure. So i jump into another plane and off we go.Cloud cover wasnt too bad . You could see Denali as we flew over awesome. Land into Anchorage with a four hour layover.Onto another plane and we are off for Chicago,, What a tail wind. We made it in about 4 1/2 hours. Couldnt sleep the entire trip. Trying to re-live my trip and not wanting it to be over.Into Chicago another 3 hour layover good thing had to walk a million miles to another gate.Uneventful into Albany international. Plane lands they say it is 70 degrees out. I can feel the sadness setting in. I proceed thru the airport to get my luggage and wouldnt you know it. They lost it they said. They said if they find it they will deliver it the two hours North of there I live. I said IF?? They said well sometimes it is gone. I said well then we will have a problem. It was a good thing I carried my new hat with me. Or I would have been fliping out there.
Sally email me and I will send the contact info. It is a few week wait Julie said but you can contact her and ask.
It was the first time as you know I was ever in Fairbanks,and want you all who were there and made me feel right at home that I really appreciate it. I will be back////
sallydawson Posted - 10/22/2007 : 8:18:40 PM
Tammi and Shawn - I too would like contact info on the Collins twins and their products. thanks,
laughing husky Posted - 10/22/2007 : 4:32:18 PM
I bought a fox hat also.....a red fox....I tried on all of the wolf hats and they were toooooooo big for me.....the fox was just right.
Shawn Posted - 10/22/2007 : 06:09:32 AM
What a small world. I was about three to four tables from you.I was at the Momentum table all weekend(well almost,DONT tell Tim I went to listen to seminars.HAHA) But during one of them I went to your table and there was an woman sitting there.I bought a few of your T-shirts.She asked if I raced in Two Rivers.I said not yet right now it was a long ride ..Then I told her where I was from.She was shocked.Yes I went back to Julies table and I also ordered so of the beaver mitts since she was sold out of them.So I sure do know how you feel about your new hat. Awesome hey!
We walked the Chena river last evening for a little while.Ran into some beavers and I know and have trapped beavers before but let me tell you one of the 6 or more we saw had to be well into the 70lb or bigger range..Amazing...Hope we did not look too touristy snapping photos and following them along the river. It was cool to see the size of the slides these big guys were making.
Sorry I didnt meet you personally yet.Thanks for the "HINT". So many people have stopped by and made me feel right at home.You all dont know how good that makes someone feel.
Thanks to all that made my trip a great one.It is 3 am AK time and I am up just so I can use the entire day again without losing it.Woffy Email me privately and I can give you some contact info for Julie if you would like. I wouldnt think they make a catalog but you can ask them for something you might be interested in.
Woofy Posted - 10/21/2007 : 11:57:57 PM
Do Miki and Julie Collins have a website with pictures of these hats? I'd love to see them all!

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page