SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 General Discussion
 Arizona to Alaska: Driving the Alcan

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
snodogs Posted - 10/02/2017 : 11:45:30 AM
Hi All,
I'm planning on driving (solo) from AZ to AK with 14 dogs this December and was wondering if there are folks out there that have driven the Alcan and would be able to offer advice on making a drive like this in the winter. I have received some very helpful suggestions from a couple of friends who have made the drive, but am expanding my inquiry here. Any and all information would be most welcome.
I am also wondering if there is anyone out there who might also be planning a drive like this, and if so, would you be interested/willing to caravan along the way? I will be driving a Ford F350 dog truck and pulling a 14' cargo trailer. Important information I've received thus far includes things like:

1. Get a copy of the MilePost (done)
2. Plan to bring spare tires (yes)
3. Get a block and battery heater (done)
4. Gas up often (and bring extra gas cans)!
5. Gas pumps in Canada are green (diesel = yellow)
6. Dogs must have current rabies vaccinations (done)
I'm also particularly interested in what the MT/Canada border crossing is like at SweetGrass if anyone has done this recently.

Any and all information would be most welcome!

Thanks!
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Camera-dog Posted - 10/30/2017 : 6:31:31 PM
my only problem is the border patrol just opened the door all the way never bothering to catch the leash to my husky, if I hadn't jumped to grab the leash I would have never seen my husky again.
mtlivestock Posted - 10/16/2017 : 7:26:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckCubbison

Notify your credit card companies of the time you expect to be in Canada, otherwise they can get shut off.

Same with your bank....debit card/etc. If you use your debit card and then again in a short time period with many miles between locations, they will put a hold on your card. At least, our bank does that.
snodogs Posted - 10/13/2017 : 05:18:54 AM
Okay, good to know. I'll have to plan accordingly!
Camera-dog Posted - 10/13/2017 : 12:38:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by snodogs

Thanks very much for your replies. I'm not planning on bringing any guns with me, and yes, I am planning on letting cc company know I"m traveling. One thing I learned the other day is that apparently now, travelers traveling with more than 2 dogs are required to have health certificates (signed by a vet) for each dog, and they must be issued within 10 days of traveling. It used to be that only rabies vaccinations were required. Not the case anymore.

I had to get a certificate of health before I tried moving to Alaska. and I only had one dog with me
snodogs Posted - 10/09/2017 : 7:01:34 PM
Thanks very much for your replies. I'm not planning on bringing any guns with me, and yes, I am planning on letting cc company know I"m traveling. One thing I learned the other day is that apparently now, travelers traveling with more than 2 dogs are required to have health certificates (signed by a vet) for each dog, and they must be issued within 10 days of traveling. It used to be that only rabies vaccinations were required. Not the case anymore.
ChuckCubbison Posted - 10/09/2017 : 6:56:53 PM
Please note that you WILL need a US passport for the border crossings. There was a time when you could get away with out it but those days are gone.
ChuckCubbison Posted - 10/09/2017 : 6:55:36 PM
I have personally NEVER had a problem with a border crossing going into Canada. I have never had a problem either direction with the Alaska/Canada border. However, I have found the US Border Patrol guards entering from Canada into the Lower 48 to be quite cranky at times.
ChuckCubbison Posted - 10/09/2017 : 6:53:42 PM
Notify your credit card companies of the time you expect to be in Canada, otherwise they can get shut off.
Duane Posted - 10/09/2017 : 1:11:55 PM
We have quite strict gun regulations in Canada and also you probably won't be allowed to bring any meat products in for you and the dogs. Check with the Canadian Custom's Department to get rulings.
Camera-dog Posted - 10/03/2017 : 12:08:39 PM
I drove up to Fairbanks from fort Collins Colorado in june. it was a 4 day drive and I was trying to move there. the roads were nice and smooth till a lil after destruction bay. then the frost heaves and gravel road started. it wasn't to horrid like I was told. the gas prices are pretty good but the gas in BC is an arm and a leg. I drove up with a 1987 oldsmobile cutlass ciera pulling a small trailer, I spent roughly $800 in gas one way and had to do an oil change once I arrived. for oil changes in AK the base price is 70 dollars and if you want synthenic its 110 dollars.

had to go back to Colorado after I was scammed out of 2500 trying to find a place to rent on craigslist.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page