SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Equipment
 Equipment
 Dog sled plans

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Polaris7 Posted - 01/08/2017 : 3:53:25 PM
Sorry if this is a repeat, but I did a search and didn't see anything. A friend built me a kick sled a few years ago and recently asked for another dog sled plan, he wants to attempt another. Does anyone have a dog sled plan ? Any and all styles if they are out there. There are quite a few out there when I googled it but really wanted to ask this group on your thoughts. Thx!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kissAnew Posted - 09/10/2017 : 7:49:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dougskijors

My grandfather used to work with the Mik Maq people in Nova Scotia, bending ash runners for big sleds for logging.
They called them 'tabagans', but they were big, for pulling with horses.

Oh geez ya eh....ash. I shoulda thought of that.
LOL. I very often tell people "Dont get stuck in the mechanics." Eating my words here now.
We have Riverbend Ash here. I think some people call it Green Ash. It's easy to bend. Well not easy but much easier than oak. Especially when it's not dried out yet. I suppose it would do well in/on a mould.
We also have aganatik(snowshoe tree) that grow in swampy areas. It looks kinda like a wikwasatik(white birch?)but it's black and has white sideways marks as opposed to the white with black sideways marks on the wikwasatik. They're easy to bend too. I would think if they're tough/strong enough to to make snowshoes that last 30 yrs they'd be good for a sled.
Thanks for the eye opener.

I still don't know how to get a pic on a thread.
Dougskijors Posted - 09/04/2017 : 08:15:05 AM
My grandfather used to work with the Mik Maq people in Nova Scotia, bending ash runners for big sleds for logging.
They called them 'tabagans', but they were big, for pulling with horses.
kissAnew Posted - 09/03/2017 : 5:48:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dougskijors

Mr. Cochrane could you post a picture?
What wood(s) do you use?
How do you get the curl in the bed? Steaming?
cheers, Doug Campbell

Doug. I'm sorry. I just got lost in other things for awhile. I hope this finds you in good health and good spirits.
I still don't know how to get a picture on here.
I like using oak. I bend it with steam or just hot water in the bath tub. Gota be careful not to go too long though it just gets hard again from being hot too long.
My grandfather usta bend young trees(pretty much any kind will do but most of the old "artists" seemed to prefer Tamarack)and weight them down with another log or a stone then let it grow for up to 2or3 years so it would grow into the bend and also continue its upright growth habit. It would eventually get 2 bends in it. When this happened(didn't always live) he'd come along and take the bark off of it and let it dry standing there. He'd come back and get it in the fall and split some and just plane some down with a hand plane. Runners and cane style handles for a sled and/or slats and cane style or bow handles for a toboggan. He attached things with jackpine pegs and rawhide string. He also had a forge he'd use to make steel pieces. I don't know the details because this was just what he told me. I use screws, bolts, eyescrews, nylon string as well as some of his methods. Of course with modern tools and electricity I got it easy.

Someone please tell me how to get pix on here.
kissAnew Posted - 02/03/2017 : 10:57:28 PM
How do I put a picture on here?
Polaris7 Posted - 01/09/2017 : 10:13:06 PM
Thanks! I was thinking toboggan would be a great style for him to attempt. We're excited to learn more about building one
Dougskijors Posted - 01/09/2017 : 03:56:25 AM
Mr. Cochrane could you post a picture?
What wood(s) do you use?
How do you get the curl in the bed? Steaming?
cheers, Doug Campbell
kissAnew Posted - 01/08/2017 : 10:24:34 PM
I personally like toboggans with runners.
Actually I really have a love and appreciation for the traditional "Indian" style of toboggan but find the "runner toboggan" more suited to what/where/why I mush now.
I construct mine with at least 3 cross pieces, 1 at the top of the curl, 1 @ the bottom of the curl and one at(my runners extend about 2 ft beyond)the back of the bed. Depending on the service requirements of the sled I may put in more cross pieces. The front 2 are 1/4 shorter than the back 1/1's which will give a "toe-in" helping with keeping the sled from wobbling/wondering.
A runner toboggan provides lots of flotation in deep undisturbed/un-packed snow and is easy to pull on packed trails. As well, it can carry a lot more gear than a basket sled that has the same size bed,......and is far more stable due to the lower center of gravity thusly safer.
I also prefer cross-piece style handles as opposed to cane style handles.
That said I usually run 6 or 8 and as many as 14 60to100lb huskies. I don't race.
I do have a little runner sled for the rescued Racers(Eurohound type sprinters) and Alaskans/ Sibe mixes. We all need our exercise.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page