SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Raising Sled Dogs
 Breeding/Whelping
 Inbreeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
lewjoh Posted - 05/09/2016 : 9:00:27 PM
Hi, all.

We're planning ahead for a litter next year and I'm wondering, how many generations back do you believe should be "clean" between the male and female before you can rule out inbreeding? By clean I mean no matching dogs in the family tree. Two generations ("grandparents")? Three? More?

I've looked at a lot of dogs on dogtec.com and am surprised how many have the same dog three of four times.

Thanks for any input.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
endurancekennels Posted - 10/05/2016 : 11:51:45 AM
Inbreeding is usually okay if both the parents were outcrosses.
RodB Posted - 09/30/2016 : 2:41:46 PM

Nothing wrong with inbreeding every living species on earth is because of inbreeding , its all about selection if an inbred litter did not work its because the wrong pair were selected not because they were inbred .

Every pure breed and performance dog is a by product of inbreeding , its actually the best way to lock in performance traits and lock in the intensity of those traits within the dog , but the caveat is all selection and a deep knowledge in traits , prepotency and the tendencies of nature to always aim for the average of the dogs ancestral tree .

As an example here in Australia during the late 1800s , there were 4 European foxes released for the pleasure of English settlers wanting to hunt foxes with hounds like they did back home .
Today there is an estimated 5 million foxes in the wild , now think about it , thats some serious inbreeding .

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page