SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Traditional Mushing
 Traditional Mushing
 A way of life gone by...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Qimmiq Posted - 05/16/2014 : 06:04:16 AM
I recently received a copy of A Trapper in North-East Greenland by Ivar Ytreland, a Norwegian living in Greenland after World War II. Itís a collection of his tales and vignettes of what it was like to be a hunter/trapper in northeast Greenland. There are chapters involving dog sledging, the main means of travel back then, and also the use of the sledge dogs as hunters and aides to hunting for 'cornering' polar bears and muskox, etc. There are also descriptions of people, ships, wildlife and the whole way of life that existed at that time but which have totally disappeared now. Ytreland describes the restoration and preservation of some of the old huts and other artifacts from that era. Great maps plus photos of the land, wildlife, people, the huts and of course, the dogs. Cool reading! I donít know if this book will eventually be available from Amazon (it isnít right now) but the publisherís site has it for sale. http://www.tswpublishing.co.uk

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kissAnew Posted - 02/03/2016 : 4:24:47 PM
I want to get that book "A Trapper in North-East Greenland by Ivar Ytreland" now. Goin lookin
kissAnew Posted - 02/03/2016 : 4:23:28 PM
Log Dog
I invite you and very much encourage you to start writing. The stories of the past will be necessary for the future sooner than any of us would like to think about. The kind of history you carry in your head and heart, the spirit of the old ones you listened to as they told their stories is an international treasure.
Please honor your self by honoring those old ones you had the pleasure of knowing. Yes, it's true much of their experiences and knowledge has past with them, but that part of them you carry can become their immortality. 15 mins an evening in a year you have a book. and it's only 15 mins a evening.
Perhaps I should heed my own words. LOL
Qimmiq Posted - 05/16/2014 : 7:24:03 PM
"Often these fascinating books are written, a few are published and no one ever sees them."

Log Dog, OR in the case of A Trapper in North-East Greenland, translated into English! The book was originally in Norwegian only. We are fortunate that the publisher took the time and effort to translate it for a broader audience of English speaking/reading hunters, trappers, sled dog enthusiasts, nature lovers to enjoy I hope this book becomes successful and so sets an example for others who might willing to translate to English other works, both current and historical, of interest to us.
Log Dog Posted - 05/16/2014 : 4:56:19 PM
Thanks for sharing. Often these fascinating books are written, a few are published and no one ever sees them. This is one to track down.

Growing up in Rural Alaska, I've always been interested in these old stories. I never miss an opportunity to learn from the old men, native and white alike. I've been listening to their stories since I was a little boy. We've got a few local historians who are very good at telling us when people moved into the country, where they fished and where they trapped. Seems they often miss the nuts and bolts of how they survived. Those are the things I find so interesting. How did they travel? How did they hunt? How did they fish? Every corner of the North is different and different techniques were used in each region.

I took all those conversations for granted when I was young. I remember parts of what they said, surely I have forgotten things though. Now I'm 40 and most of those old men are gone. I fear much of their knowledge is gone with them. That's what makes books like this so important.

Kyle
Camera-dog Posted - 05/16/2014 : 07:04:43 AM
Thank you ill half to check it out

SDC Talk! © © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page