SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Feeding
 Feeding
 whole frozen raw fish diet

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kissAnew Posted - 01/14/2016 : 12:34:42 PM
Greetings from Central Manitoba Interlake region of Canada.
Is there anyone in SDC Talk-land that has fed their K9 workers and/or athletes frozen whole raw fish or anyone that is considering such as a staple supplemented with ?? or supplement to a staple of ?? or as a singular feed?
Please share your experiences/observations/questions regarding; -coat, -ears, -stool, -teeth, -attitude, -stamina, -healing ability for major and or minor injuries, -schedule/s or anything else you may think of.
I wish to share and learn.
Thank you.
kissAnew
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 01/26/2016 : 2:50:33 PM
Just feed them. If they are getting thin, feed them more. Different breeds of dogs, genetic lines, and even specific dogs within a genetic line require different amount of food. All you can do is try a combo, see how they look and feel, then adjust the diet and try again. If you don't know, talk to a vet about how to judge body condition. Most successful mushers use very different combos of meats, kibbles, vegetable and animal fats, and are competitive amongst themselves, despite all the differences in feed.
balzakjeff Posted - 01/26/2016 : 11:31:10 AM
KissAnew,

Sadly, PCB contamination in the local commercial fatty fish would make using fish around here something I would avoid (assuming you didn't have to pay top dollar at the market). I eat it on a weekly basis but I would hesitate to make it the basis of dog food. The skins and roe, while available for relatively cheap are even worse. The big market is for these wastes is during bear season for bait.

As to searching for pasts posts: go to the upper right, click on "search" fill in "fish" as a search term and select (you'll need to scroll down) "Feeding" for the search in box. I get 11 threads.

Cheers,
Jeff
kissAnew Posted - 01/18/2016 : 11:38:51 PM
MSeavey. Makes sense. do your K9's have better health benifits with fish in their diet? Is it straight fish or a percentage? What percentage
D.Heilbrunn..Yes, deworming. I use old methods and new meds together.
balzakjeff.."freshwater fish parasites", "contaminants", "fat"..Yes. Thank you for the confirmation.
kissAnew Posted - 01/18/2016 : 11:29:40 PM
"Northern Canada" tough tapeworm"... Even though I don't see any indications of tapeworm I do notice the adopted Racers are pretty thin. Mind you I aint feeding them any heavier than the real Huskies so that may be a determining factor. What's the name of that specific tapeworm? Is it the one referred to as Large Strongyle? Or is a Strongyle even a tapeworm and I am way off-base?

I don't know how to get to "Archives". I've been looking but haven't seen any links.
I am going to keep looking and will check back here later to see if anyone has left directions.

I still want to hear/see posts of your expeiences/observstions re:health, feet, skin, coat, stool, stamina, etc.

MSeavey Posted - 01/18/2016 : 10:53:21 PM
We feed tons of salmon a year, frozen or cooked, no problems. Just keep it frozen at least 2 weeks at -20F before using. Fresh bright salmon have a lot of oil and nutrients, but once in or near fresh water the meat gets pale from lack of remaining oils and they are not worth much nutritionally. Still a good chew toy.
midnightwind Posted - 01/18/2016 : 4:53:48 PM
What I recall hearing (which may well be faulty) it has to be flash frozen to a very low temperature to kill parasites in 24 hours. The higher the temperature (ie the slower the freeze) the longer it has to stay frozen.
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 01/18/2016 : 4:05:40 PM
From my experience, the 24 hr freeze to kill (the worms) does not work for the variety of extremely resilient tape worms we have here in Northern Canada.
kissAnew Posted - 01/18/2016 : 3:54:00 PM
Liver flukes...yes. Introduced Rocky Mountian Elk also carry liver flukes. it has proven quite deadly to many of the species that have been here for many generations so I could see how it may also be deadly to domestic K9's that eat it fish that have it.
I have many stories from the old ones regarding fish diets for their ootapunaskatimook(sleigh dogs).
I have fed fish(in many forms)off and on for years and have seen pros and cons. I'm just looking for responses for others regarding their own experiences/observations.
I will look in archives....once I figure how to do that.(I aint so great with computers and such but I am learning "navigationl skills).
I have heard that freezing for minimum 24hrs kills them all. I don't know for sure but it seems to work. It would be good to see scientific data since that seems to be what we all like to see before we accept. On that note ..I was taught in science class to accept only after understanding. In life I have found that understanding comes only after accepting.
Thank you all for your responses
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 01/16/2016 : 11:23:54 PM
Lots of aboriginal dog mushers in Canada fed fish to their dog teams for thousands of years; sometimes raw, dried, cooked, frozen. The dogs can survive on it and be worked as well; but, I think fish is best boiled, with extra fat, let to cool, then mixed (but not cooked) with good quality kibble and served. It is also great as a cold raw snack on a warm day. Deworming is essential.
balzakjeff Posted - 01/16/2016 : 09:22:09 AM
You might search the archives, fish diets as well as raw diets have been discussed off and on over the years.

From what I've read and know about fish (I'm a biologist) as primary food source much depends on what species (fat content) and source (potential contamination with PCB's and/or mercury). You'll also want to investigate mitigating potential fish parasites, especially in fresh water fish.

Jeff
IdahoMusher Posted - 01/15/2016 : 1:07:12 PM
Not sure about this area, but once I met a fellow who did this with salmon in Washington state, and it turned out they have a liver fluke, which sickened his dogs. I think some even died.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page