SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 Sled dog heart rate

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Randy Johnson Posted - 12/30/2015 : 9:16:02 PM
I was recently asked what a sled dog's heart rate should/could be.
The person asking had her Vet measure her working dog at 44 bpm.
Would this be too low or a "norm" for an active working Siberian Husky?
Any professional answers to this question would be appreciated.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CrazyDaisy Posted - 01/27/2016 : 09:30:05 AM
Once one of my dogs broke a stay when I was swinging a really heavy log for him to retrieve. He rammed his head right into the swinging log, resulting in a concussion. At first his pupils were unequal and he had trouble walking.

Throughout the night I woke myself up to check on him, and checked his pulse rate. I had Pitcairn's guide to dog health on hand and his heart rate was way lower than what the resting heart rate of an adult dog was supposed to be according to the book. I was freaked out and worried that my dog would die during the night (he didn't). The next day I checked with a friend and their dog's rate was similar to mine, his was normal after all.

This was just a pet dog, not a trained distance athlete, the only dog I ever had that never wanted to pull anything.

I cannot remember the heart rate from the book, or what the actual rate of my dog was, but consult as many authoritative sources as you can and don't trust something more just because it is written.

smushybanana Posted - 01/01/2016 : 1:40:47 PM
Sinus bradycardia is not unusual or pathological in very fit dogs. If the dog is fine otherwise I would not be concerned.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/76/1/433
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9364227

Disclaimer: As always, the internet is not a replacement for a real veterinarian seeing the dog.
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 12/30/2015 : 9:27:10 PM
The following info is from Dog Driver by Miki and Julie Collins:

Resting heart rate:60-100 beats per minute; over 100 after 1.2 hour of rest indicates pain, dehydration, severe fatigue, or illness.

Over 140 bpm requires a vet exam

Working heart rate: 100 to 300 bpm while working. Over 280 bpm may be too fast for older dogs.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page