SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mtlivestock Posted - 09/02/2015 : 9:03:36 PM
I have four dogs. Recreational cani-cross, dog sled, and dog scooter. Dogs have "working pets" with huge yard and not chained. Clean yard daily and spend time with them, so I do know their poo consistency and adjusts meals accordingly.

I have a hard time finding dog food with a balanced protein/fat ratio. The ones I buy are high protein but around 15 percent fat. This isn't the cheap stuff....about $1.60/pd.

What are folks with only a few dogs doing to add fat? Grocery store is my only option right now. I have used trimmings from beef and chicken. What are the thoughts of raw beef fat trimmings? Amount/frequency? I also add some canned fish (salmon/mackeral) and pumpkin.

What about whitefish as use as an additional food item? Any thoughts?

The chicken fat worked great last year but when I could not find trimmings. But I had to buy whole cheap chicken. I found I got the best results by baking and then deboning....and retaining the fatty liquid in the dish for baited water. BUT time consuming and messy two times a week. And right now, with my property for sale, I want to avoid that.

Thanks folks! These cooler days are lovely. Sure clears out the wildfire smoke!
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mtlivestock Posted - 09/24/2015 : 11:08:25 PM
Thanks. I did find a local source for beef fat trimmings in about 10 pd bags, frozen. It comes apart fairly easily when dropped on floor. I then re-package for easy use. Now if only this stays a steady source..... LOL Seems it never works that way....

Thank you for the whitefish comment too. I think I'll try that. It's salmon snagging season now. Share with the dogs or enjoy myself?? LOL
Mutt338 Posted - 09/17/2015 : 11:51:44 PM
4 dog Musher here, I often visit my local grocery store and ask the guys working the back about their scraps. I get a good few pounds of beef and pork fat from them. Roll it up in wax paper freeze and cut into small pucks for easy feeding.
I feed about the same $/lb in dog food, feeding Kibble with that a balanced raw diet (50/50). Saves me a lot of money as raw goes along way. No supplements except vitamin e and apple cider vinegar. My dogs are all easy keepers, but if it's worth anything. They bulk great during training, wonderful small stools, and easy maintainence in the summer.
D.Heilbrunn Posted - 09/13/2015 : 10:35:56 PM
Whitefish is great. A splash or two of canola oil daily and beef / chicken trimmings as you see fit. The little bit of canola oil helps the animal fats absorb. As long as their crap is hard, they're not eating too much.
nwalek Posted - 09/04/2015 : 2:55:41 PM
What are folks with only a few dogs doing to add fat? Grocery store is my only option right now.

blob of safflower oil, dollop of flaxseed oil and raw ground chicken backs/leg quarters from the grocery store. Norm.
balzakjeff Posted - 09/04/2015 : 11:20:56 AM
Originally posted by Ken Castaldi

Red Paw sells balanced fat just for this purpose. It's clean easy and mixes well with the kibble of your choice.

So does Caribou Creek.
Ken Castaldi Posted - 09/04/2015 : 06:00:40 AM
Red Paw sells balanced fat just for this purpose. It's clean easy and mixes well with the kibble of your choice.
mtlivestock Posted - 09/03/2015 : 5:48:19 PM
Thanks Roy! I might ask a processor about getting some beef fat again. I can buy it sometimes. Since we don't farm right now or have the
slaughter business anymore, it is hard to come by fat and bones easily. Just hoped their might be less messier solution while my house is up for sale. Oh well. Thanks for the "amount". I'll start a bit smaller and work up as my dogs don't work hard....just hard enough to need more fat than those expensive dog foods have in them.

Thank you midnightwind! I had forgotten about canola. I'm a bit hesitate thought as the opinions of it is mixed. I used to feed corn oil to fatten up old horses, but I have gotten away from that by using rice bran instead.

RSmith Posted - 09/03/2015 : 08:07:57 AM

Raw beef/chicken fat is GREAT to keep weight and firm stools. You might try to seek out a custom meat cutter though for a better price. Get yourself 100 lbs or whatever and freeze it. 100-200g per dog. Handful every day or other day. Depends on particular dogs.

Oils are great for skin/coat but in my yard, it won't help with weight. Others have sucess with various oils to keep weight on, once again depends on the dog.

Good luck.
midnightwind Posted - 09/02/2015 : 10:22:54 PM
canola oil

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page