SDC Talk!
SDC Talk!
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Health
 Health: General
 Fasting

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
YoopItUp Posted - 08/12/2015 : 7:40:14 PM
A friend of mine asked me if I ever "fasted" a dog for 24 hours to lose weight. I have never heard of it. I thought you would just cut down the food. Thoughts?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Fast E Posted - 08/17/2015 : 07:50:31 AM
It doesn't hurt the dogs one bit to fast them once in a while--especially if they are over weight or get picky about eating. Think about it--have you ever for unforeseen circumstances not get the dogs fed--did they die or get sick from it?
CAM Posted - 08/14/2015 : 07:53:17 AM
Doug Swingley used to skip feeding one day a week, every week during the summer season, dogs still got water every day. The idea is to slow their metabolism and send them into a fat storing mode so they keep weight more easily. If I have a dog that's a little overweight, I just cut back on their daily portions.
RSmith Posted - 08/14/2015 : 07:33:47 AM
I think that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of IMO. Maybe in severe obese cases IDK. SLowly feed less food and keep up the exercise. Maybe feed a low energy kibble/diet as well. And if its Summer and you don't normally do much with the dog(s), take them for walks or loose walks if you can.
ChuckCubbison Posted - 08/13/2015 : 3:02:18 PM
I had not heard of this either, so I did a little googling and found that it was a bit of a fad a few years ago. There are some sound medical reasons why this might be done (in specific circumstances), but don't see a need for it for the purpose of weight loss. Certainly dogs in good health, especially Siberian Huskies, can skip a meal from time to time with no serious consequences. But if it is done you have to pay attention to hydration (baited water as Blake says). I think you're right...just cut down the daily portion if you need to!
Blake C Posted - 08/13/2015 : 2:55:05 PM
I know of kennels that only offer bait water on one day and skip that days meal. skipping meal is necessary for some of our thrifty dogs some days in summer but they always get baited water. too heavy too hot real likely not to eat.
Camera-dog Posted - 08/13/2015 : 2:39:48 PM
never heard of it my self. id just cut back on the food and give more exercise.

SDC Talk! © Sled Dog Central Go To Top Of Page